• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Photo of your workstation

I'm jealous you all have such beautiful shops. I just have a humble garage that I have to share with my wife's car. Everything is on wheels and can be moved to the side. It seems to work well for me. Maybe it can help someone with similar situations.
Robert Verhines

Attachments

• 20211204_110230.jpg
    20211204_110230.jpg
    600.7 KB · Views: 138
  • 20211204_111213.jpg
    20211204_111213.jpg
    442.3 KB · Views: 137
  • 20211204_111228.jpg
    20211204_111228.jpg
    592.6 KB · Views: 129
  • 20211204_111250.jpg
    20211204_111250.jpg
    539.5 KB · Views: 137

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
No, It's an Acro Sport II

I had to look it up to see what we're talking about! :)

Looks like it would be fun!

-----odie-----
iu

I had to look it up to see what we're talking about! :)

Looks like it would be fun!

-----odie-----
iu
Looks like it would make you barf in 12 seconds.o_O It's an aerobatic plane designed for aerial maneuvers and plenty of hollow stomach moments.

I'll share pictures to enter into the "most cluttered shop" contest. I've just got to many projects in multiple hobbies going at once.
If I get the airplane out of the shop I can reorganize.

View attachment 41427View attachment 41428View attachment 41429View attachment 41430View attachment 41431View attachment 41432View attachment 41433
It is interesting that you have a biplane in your woodturning shop although that is something that I don't have but I did trade woodturning for 2 rides in a 1941 Stearman biplane.
101_0508.JPG I didn't photograph the plane on the ground but I have several pictures of the MN lakes area, including this one of my home and shop (the green roof) off the wing in the center of the photo.

My interests in aviation were limited to a hang glider. I never liked motors or working on them. I figured if I ever got into motorized flight, it would have to be for aerobatics...... You can do some in the current hang gliders, but you can do a lot more in powered planes....

robo hippy

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com
I'm jealous you all have such beautiful shops. I just have a humble garage that I have to share with my wife's car. Everything is on wheels and can be moved to the side. It seems to work well for me. Maybe it can help someone with similar situations.
Robert Verhines
Robert,

Do you have any issues with magnetizing your tools from the magnetic bar?

And, how do you generate a bunch of dust and get clothes clean?

Rich

odie

TOTW Team
My interests in aviation were limited to a hang glider. I never liked motors or working on them. I figured if I ever got into motorized flight, it would have to be for aerobatics...... You can do some in the current hang gliders, but you can do a lot more in powered planes....

robo hippy
During the summer of 1967, I did my first solo.....and shortly after that, I enlisted in the USArmy.....never flew again! (As a pilot, anyway!)

I saw some videos of aerobatic hang gliders that would raise the hair on the back of your neck! :eek:

-----odie-----

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com

odie

TOTW Team

There are always some great ideas and observations that come from seeing other's shops. I find myself always asking myself a few questions.....like: "Does this shop show signs of continuous use, and is it a little too neat, new looking, and clean. The answers to these questions give some perspective that might offer a few clues that lead to reasoned conclusions. Just because a shop gives a sense of awe, it shouldn't necessarily be conclusive about how well it performs for it's owner! The answer to that can only come from further observations, thoughtful contemplation, and investigation...

IOW.....it takes years of continuous use and abuse, along with sporadic modifications to make a shop look like a complete disaster area! Ha,ha,ha..... :) .....Probably only those who have "been there, done that", will understand the implications of this obscure concept! :D

-----odie-----

Last edited:
Ron Brown of Ron Brown’s Best Tools sends out a weekly newsletter. This week’s was titled “The Pilot System", copied below. It describes the approach I've used in many areas for many years, including my shop, to limit the amount of detailed info I need to keep in my head. Seems very apropos for this discussion.

The Pilot System​

I used to work for a man who used the Pilot system to organize his personal office. I asked him to explain his system and why it worked so well. He spelled “The Pilot System” differently than I had understood; “Pile It” was the system he used.

He didn’t have time to organize a million little projects exactly so he grouped similar items together in larger piles. He said he could keep track of groups of things far more easily than each specific thing. It was also easier to prioritize what was urgent and needed his immediate attention using his Pile It system. I thought that was really stupid when he first explained it that way.

Over time, I came to understand why his system worked so well and I eventually adopted it myself. In the shop, I keep similar things in the same area and I group things I use for the same types of projects together. It might be a drawer, a shelf, or a “work cell” where everything I need is within arm’s reach. I make several completely different accessories using different components so I Pile them together.

I’ve become very efficient because I have everything I need for that item together in one space. It might be special fasteners or components I don’t use for any other accessories. This means that I have duplicates for some things, but I never have to hunt for something that would slow me down unnecessarily.

When I’m turning spinning tops, I’ve made somewhere over 13,000 over the years, I have all of my lathe tools, texturing tools, and markers in one drawer or box. I batch produce the rough top assemblies (the disks, and dowels), and glue them up in advance. I can turn, texture, and finish a spinning top in 3 minutes at the lathe because of the Pile It System. Pen turners will relate to the Pile It System because there are so many specialty items used to fully turn and assemble a pen. It’s the same with stoppers, pepper mills, honey dippers, etc.

The Pile It System works especially well when it comes to the sharpening station and all of the setup gauges we use to set proper accurate angles on our grinders. Settings for spindle and bowl gouges require different helpers than scrapers or skews. The Pile It System works like a charm in this area.

I have an old friend whose shop looks like something out of a magazine. There is not a speck of dust anywhere. My mind doesn’t work like that. I know the general area where something is supposed to be and a smaller area within it where I keep the same sorts of things, but that is the extent of my organization. Some would call it organized clutter, but I know where everything is and can find what I need quickly, most of the time. In my world, I don’t want to spend inordinate amounts of time getting ready to get ready. Exact organization doesn’t work for me because I add more tools, fixtures, or accessories almost daily. Any detailed organization would quickly become obsolete in my shop.

If you think about it, our computer systems utilize the Pile It System beautifully. They are called folders. We group similar things together so we can find them when we need to. I produce an incredible amount of work in a relatively small space using the Pile It System. It will work for you too.

Last edited:
There are always some great ideas and observations that come from seeing other's shops. I find myself always asking myself a few questions.....like: "Does this shop show signs of continuous use, and is it a little too neat, new looking, and clean. The answers to these questions give some perspective that might offer a few clues that lead to reasoned conclusions. Just because a shop gives a sense of awe, it shouldn't necessarily be conclusive about how well it performs for it's owner! The answer to that can only come from further observations, thoughtful contemplation, and investigation...

IOW.....it takes years of continuous use and abuse, along with sporadic modifications to make a shop look like a complete disaster area! Ha,ha,ha..... :) .....Probably only those who have "been there, done that", will understand the implications of this obscure concept! :D

-----odie-----
Odie - I am offering a crash course in how to take really nice shop space and rapidly turn it into an area that was designed by that great architect...Fred G. Sanford.......:D

Here is the area I put together in my basement. Before it has carpet and tile, so that was ripped up and vinyl plank was put down.

The dust collection system was made with a motor I had laying around. I designed and printed the impeller but found a model for the cyclone.

Since these photos were taken, I've put in a wire rack shelving system, it really cleaned up the look compared to the stack of bowls in the photo.

Attachments

• IMG_20220307_162912.jpg
    IMG_20220307_162912.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_20220307_162852.jpg
    IMG_20220307_162852.jpg
    312.1 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_20220307_162926.jpg
    IMG_20220307_162926.jpg
    380.1 KB · Views: 98

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
Here is the area I put together in my basement. Before it has carpet and tile, so that was ripped up and vinyl plank was put down.

The dust collection system was made with a motor I had laying around. I designed and printed the impeller but found a model for the cyclone.

Since these photos were taken, I've put in a wire rack shelving system, it really cleaned up the look compared to the stack of bowls in the photo.
Sheesh!!! My living space doesn't look that good. :rolleyes:

odie

TOTW Team
I find ugly file cabinets are great for organizing stuff right next to the lathe. The good part is they are usually free. The older I get; the less I care about how "nice" it looks.

You and me, both.....John :)

Function is everything!......looks are for making an impression, but other than some visitors from my church once in awhile, my two dogs are the only visitors I have.....and, they could care less! Over the past couple decades, I've spent a lot of effort to fine tune my shop, so that convenience is a top priority.

Just the other day, I saw a free filing cabinet in front of a neighbor's house.....definitely wasn't the first time! I guess in the age of computers, a lot of filing cabinets have become useless!

-----odie-----

odie

TOTW Team
Okay, I'd like to know how many others feel the way I do about this thread?... Too embarrassed to show anybody the mess.

Tom......Although some messy shops are just that.....a mess......I have seen some messy shops in these threads that have been a gold mine for creative minds! :)

-----odie-----

Okay, I'd like to know how many others feel the way I do about this thread?... Too embarrassed to show anybody the mess.
O.K.... Tom - I hope this photo provides you with a sense pride and security. In knowing that you and I are in in the company of intellectual giants - example....Albert Einstein's "workshop"....his desk!:D

Attachments

• CCzPg9JWEAI2HF6.jpeg
    CCzPg9JWEAI2HF6.jpeg
    33.7 KB · Views: 76
The only reason my space looks good is I hadn't, at that point, used it yet. It's quite a bit messier now.

Totally agreed with function following form. I've used the space a bit now and things have started to find there natural spots. But there are still improvements to be made and tweaked, it's a never ending process as you grow more and more.

Okay, I cleaned off the work surfaces and swept the floor. There are several "work stations" in my basement shop-- the big lathe, the student lathe, the projects bench, the finishing bench, and other storage areas not photographed. Smallish wood storage and the rolling clamp rack are in the former laundry area since we moved the laundry to the second floor. Hand tools, power carpentry tools and numerous jigs are in another closet. Since I quit riding motorcycles I have 1/4th of my garage loaded with burls that I collected from the Amish mills in Wisconsin.
I have five adult sons, only one of whom owns a lathe and turns--- when the time comes, he's gonna make out like a bandit.

Attachments

• My Shop - 2.jpeg
    My Shop - 2.jpeg
    463.5 KB · Views: 140
  • My Shop - 1.jpeg
    My Shop - 1.jpeg
    474 KB · Views: 142
  • My Shop - 3.jpeg
    My Shop - 3.jpeg
    453.6 KB · Views: 136
  • My Shop - 4.jpeg
    My Shop - 4.jpeg
    461 KB · Views: 137
Okay, I cleaned off the work surfaces and swept the floor. There are several "work stations" in my basement shop-- the big lathe, the student lathe, the projects bench, the finishing bench, and other storage areas not photographed. Smallish wood storage and the rolling clamp rack are in the former laundry area since we moved the laundry to the second floor. Hand tools, power carpentry tools and numerous jigs are in another closet. Since I quit riding motorcycles I have 1/4th of my garage loaded with burls that I collected from the Amish mills in Wisconsin.
I have five adult sons, only one of whom owns a lathe and turns--- when the time comes, he's gonna make out like a bandit.

Beautiful shop, Tom! I love the layout and your gouge storage.

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com
Ron Brown of Ron Brown’s Best Tools sends out a weekly newsletter. This week’s was titled “The Pilot System", copied below. It describes the approach I've used in many areas for many years, including my shop, to limit the amount of detailed info I need to keep in my head. Seems very apropos for this discussion.

The Pilot System​

I used to work for a man who used the Pilot system to organize his personal office. I asked him to explain his system and why it worked so well. He spelled “The Pilot System” differently than I had understood; “Pile It” was the system he used.

He didn’t have time to organize a million little projects exactly so he grouped similar items together in larger piles. He said he could keep track of groups of things far more easily than each specific thing. It was also easier to prioritize what was urgent and needed his immediate attention using his Pile It system. I thought that was really stupid when he first explained it that way.

Over time, I came to understand why his system worked so well and I eventually adopted it myself. In the shop, I keep similar things in the same area and I group things I use for the same types of projects together. It might be a drawer, a shelf, or a “work cell” where everything I need is within arm’s reach. I make several completely different accessories using different components so I Pile them together.

I’ve become very efficient because I have everything I need for that item together in one space. It might be special fasteners or components I don’t use for any other accessories. This means that I have duplicates for some things, but I never have to hunt for something that would slow me down unnecessarily.

When I’m turning spinning tops, I’ve made somewhere over 13,000 over the years, I have all of my lathe tools, texturing tools, and markers in one drawer or box. I batch produce the rough top assemblies (the disks, and dowels), and glue them up in advance. I can turn, texture, and finish a spinning top in 3 minutes at the lathe because of the Pile It System. Pen turners will relate to the Pile It System because there are so many specialty items used to fully turn and assemble a pen. It’s the same with stoppers, pepper mills, honey dippers, etc.

The Pile It System works especially well when it comes to the sharpening station and all of the setup gauges we use to set proper accurate angles on our grinders. Settings for spindle and bowl gouges require different helpers than scrapers or skews. The Pile It System works like a charm in this area.

I have an old friend whose shop looks like something out of a magazine. There is not a speck of dust anywhere. My mind doesn’t work like that. I know the general area where something is supposed to be and a smaller area within it where I keep the same sorts of things, but that is the extent of my organization. Some would call it organized clutter, but I know where everything is and can find what I need quickly, most of the time. In my world, I don’t want to spend inordinate amounts of time getting ready to get ready. Exact organization doesn’t work for me because I add more tools, fixtures, or accessories almost daily. Any detailed organization would quickly become obsolete in my shop.

If you think about it, our computer systems utilize the Pile It System beautifully. They are called folders. We group similar things together so we can find them when we need to. I produce an incredible amount of work in a relatively small space using the Pile It System. It will work for you too.
This video shows that approach quite well!

View: https://youtu.be/I_yc6o9Hp_U

odie

TOTW Team

Hey there, Tom...... :)

After your other post, I expected to see a mess.......but, your shop looks like it has some organization, and is very usable. It has more to say about you, than if you tried to explain it all!...... :)

-----odie-----

My workshop is in a 30’ X 50’ building. About 1,250’ is workshop with the remaining 250’ lawn storage and 1/2 bath. It can get messy at times. I am satisfied with my turning area. Tools are just behind the lathe, Sandpaper is on a Z rack with pegboard, and grinder areas are just on the other side of the Z rack. I have a workbench and a separate assembly table. I have a wood rack on wheels for blanks and wet wood to be turned soon and another wood rack for the exotics I have. My DC is a 3hp (for old Jet DC) with a cyclone and I vent outside.

.DD0FDC47-3336-4565-BDF0-FF9DABFE2A70_1_201_a.jpeg 8BA81A46-D76A-4788-8413-1F1665548FB8_1_201_a.jpeg F6E4AC04-47A3-46F6-B60E-5F385EB84D2D_1_201_a.jpeg D365BD91-076E-4099-A1EF-48680526B2E8_1_201_a.jpeg CA71996F-AA65-4FE6-BB54-A5BD625AE918_1_201_a.jpeg0AD93A7F-48D7-4793-940D-5E26DF06AB68_1_201_a.jpeg4118F673-E890-40AB-B36B-3605652ED8B1_1_201_a.jpeg F626EFF8-C7FF-4442-B409-F98ED0255874_1_201_a.jpeg

odie

TOTW Team
My workshop is in a 30’ X 50’ building. About 1,250’ is workshop with the remaining 250’ lawn storage and 1/2 bath. It can get messy at times. I am satisfied with my turning area. Tools are just behind the lathe, Sandpaper is on a Z rack with pegboard, and grinder areas are just on the other side of the Z rack. I have a workbench and a separate assembly table. I have a wood rack on wheels for blanks and wet wood to be turned soon and another wood rack for the exotics I have. My DC is a 3hp (for old Jet DC) with a cyclone and I vent outside.

.View attachment 43904 View attachment 43907 View attachment 43906 View attachment 43905 View attachment 43908View attachment 43909View attachment 43911 View attachment 43910

Hiya William..... :)

Your shop is obviously put together with an experienced sense of purpose. The turning tool storage is one of the most accessible. If I were starting to put my shop together, I believe I'd take your example as a good way to do it.

At one time some of the participants of these "show us your shop" threads were made to feel shamed because the cutting edges all point up, when it's the best way to ID each tool at a quick glance. Some feel this is a safety issue that needs to be addressed by everyone, and I feel that it's fine for those who have a sense of awareness about exposed cutting edges....from my POV, it's my shop, and my choice in how I use it! (It's similar to the reasons why I still have all my fingers, after using my old table saw (that never had a guard) for the past half century......some people need the guard, while others don't!)

I have an old antique paper cutter exactly like yours. Mine has a date stamp on the bottom......1952, I believe. My mother was a school teacher, so I "inherited" mine! After using it to cut sandpaper for the past couple decades, I thought the blade would surely need to be re-sharpened.....but, never has, so far!

-----odie-----

@odie i have good spacing between the tool levels, so I don’t havie a problem reaching for the tool I want. I make a lot of my handles, if point down it would be time consuming to find the tool I want. And yes there need to be an awareness. I don’t feel it is a safety issue. Longer tools on top.
The paper cutter is also an old school auction as are the cabinets. Back in the mid 90’s schools had auctions. Mine doesn’t have a date, but does have an instruction card stapled to the bottom. Milton Bradly is the brand. The cabinets are also from the auction. The two on the right I paid a dollar each. I bought 6 of the art cabinets like the one on the left for 25 dollars each. Oth l steel and ball bearing drawers. In floor hot water heat, but no AC.
@Mark Jundanian the hoist is electric, just up and down. HF rated at 880lbs for double cable. I use it single cable 440 lbs. I use it to get “stuff” and wood off my pickup, to lift wet wood to put on a cart to transfer to lathe, lift lawnmower for blades and oil change, plus a lot of odd things. I’m 74, so any extra advantage I can get I take. I had a load bearing ceiling installed and reinforced it for the hoist.

odie

TOTW Team
One more question @William Rogers if you don't mind.....

What are you using the microscope for?

I purchased a hand held cheapie microscope years ago, and my purpose was to inspect cutting edges, and it helped to analyze how well I was doing in my sharpening.

-----odie-----

@odie I mainly use the microscope to identify wood species using the wood database endgrain photo. However you can use your camera most times at 10x. I bought it off eBay for $7. I bought a lot of exotic from a wood turner who could no longer turn and almost all was not identified. And sometimes little splinters.

Edit. Maybe I should take a look at my edges on my tools.

odie

TOTW Team
Edit. Maybe I should take a look at my edges on my tools.

It's probably been 15 years since I used mine. Mine wasn't a very good microscope, and not nearly as nice as yours. Yours would probably give you a better look than mine did for me. It might help, and if you do an analysis, I'd be interested in hearing about your findings.

My results, as I remember them, were inconclusive with gouge edges, but it did seem like the bur on the scrapers was more pronounced by a slower swipe across the grinding wheel. I see you've converted to CBN wheels, and I'm still using frangible wheels......so, your findings may, or may not be the same...

-----odie-----

@odie For my scrapers I now use the ProEdge for sharpening. What I need to do is look at he scraper bur off the ProEdge and then with a rolled edge. Could also compare the CBN to the ProEdge. I usually use 120 grit on the ProEdge for scrapers, 220 for skews, and 600 for speciality tools. All gouges I grind on the CBN using the Hannes Vector jig. I did hand grind a gouge the other day and it actually cut decently.

William, what I like most about your shop is how most of your tables and wood storage are on wheels. Some times I need to micro adjust places.... I have too much wood to have it on rollers though.... I do want a rolling cart for my bar clamps and other clamps....

robo hippy

@robo hippy Thanks, Everything is on. wheels except the art cabinets, bins and the wood workbench. I have more wood stored in the lawn mower area and outside. Just some dry blanks and a couple pieces of wet wood on the cart.

Back