• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Photo of your workstation

Since I watched those videos, I have made an extra effort to clean as I move the headstock. I was just wondering that the lathe has the cross piece at the end and the extension also has a cross piece, would that give the headstock more strength than say 1 foot away from an end where there is no cross piece.
John may have just slid his headsstock down and that is where it stopped, just funny it stopped exactly on the joint of the extension and lathe. Sometimes I am pretty good at way overthinking things too.

You know sometimes we don't have an issue until someone creates it for us:)...Now every time my chisel bounces or vibrates, I start wondering if it is the headstock...if he would not have said anything, I would not think about it...I'm quite sure Stuart's sensitivity to what's happening is 10 times mine. I rarely have issues but I can just about guaranty I'm creating my issues with no help from the lathe, if he just had not said anything.....

Last edited:

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Odie- I love the caliper modification! Any chance you could post a picture of the calipers straight on with a ruler in the shot so I could duplicate your proportions?

Sorry Will..... I only just this morning realized you asked for this. Better late than never, I suppose! :)

These modified calipers have been in constant use for something close to 40 years now!!!!!

IMG_0977.JPG

There have been so many new modifications and improvements to my shop over the last year, that I should update this thread with a new set of photos.....soon......maybe!

This is the biggest improvement as of late, though.....Grizzly G0817 bandsaw. What a difference this makes over my old 35 year old Grizzly 16" Delta knockoff!!!!!

IMG_0978.JPG
Sold this one on CL........
Shop September 2014 (12).JPG

Thanks Odie. You actually sent me a photo back in November... you just don't remember :).Thanks for sending again. Your bandsaw update looks amazing! Enjoy!

odie

TOTW Team
Thanks Odie. You actually sent me a photo back in November... you just don't remember :).Thanks for sending again. Your bandsaw update looks amazing! Enjoy!

Oops.....well, you don't say, Will! :)

This getting older business, and the inherent forgetfulness that comes with it......is a bummer, sometimes!!!!! :(

-----odie-----

Oops.....well, you don't say, Will! :)

This getting older business, and the inherent forgetfulness that comes with it......is a bummer, sometimes!!!!! :(

-----odie-----
been there, heck no I'm still there :D

I never leave my work area dirty at the end of a day of turning. Part of that is the fact that have a limited space and like working on multiple things at the same time so I have to keep it clean. The other part is that I am a little OCD when it comes to my work area.

odie

TOTW Team
I never leave my work area dirty at the end of a day of turning. Part of that is the fact that have a limited space and like working on multiple things at the same time so I have to keep it clean. The other part is that I am a little OCD when it comes to my work area.

To a point, I'm the same way. I'm OCD when it comes to having a place for everything, and everything in it's place. The shavings and dust are pretty much swept up from the walkways and benchtops.....but, if you looked behind things, in corners, under the benches......the buildup of dust and shavings is close to embarrassment levels! :)

-----odie-----

Here's a photo of my project from last weekend. We just moved into a new house and I've been having fun (and a lot of work and money) turning a bare garage into a new workshop. After adding electrical, insulation, drywall, and workbenches, it's now time to start shelves and racks. Here's a gouge rack made with 1 1/2" PVC. Unfortunately there's a few tool handles that won't fit that diameter, and the next PVC size up is much too big. So those few gouges will lay flat on a shelf.

Attachments

• IMG_5907.jpg
    IMG_5907.jpg
    385.6 KB · Views: 78

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
Unfortunately there's a few tool handles that won't fit that diameter, and the next PVC size up is much too big. So those few gouges will lay flat on a shelf.
You can always turn down the high spots on the handles by mounting between centers or in a chuck - or use a disc sander on the high spots.
Or, better yet IMO, put the steel in the PVC and let the handle stick out.

I have a dedicated tin shed that's way too small, no windows just sky lights, jammed between the house and the fence, roughly the size of a single car garage.... small car. Yes its dirty I call a work in progress and the grandkids love the mess... well thats my excuse . I have added a lean to/come annex, annex sounds better :). Its been called many things including a 'garden shed' the better half calls it 'the sanctuary' and given the madness of the world currently its probably a fair comment.

Attachments

• IMG_3278.JPG
    IMG_3278.JPG
    444.2 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_3281.JPG
    IMG_3281.JPG
    485.4 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_3279.JPG
    IMG_3279.JPG
    406.2 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_3280.JPG
    IMG_3280.JPG
    552.9 KB · Views: 96
@hughie I like that, the sanctuary. What kind of large are you working with in there? Looks like a huge swing over the bed!
Michael I have two lathes both with large swings up around 28-30 inches. I built them at a time when I liked big turnings. But found my love of big bowls etc quickly outmatched my ability to obtain timber :)
What you can see here is a large [ 15" ] pierced bowl in Silky oak in a double Koru pattern with a Japanese Maple I guess in a flower style sitting in the Koru bowl . Then on the carving jig is the swap piece in Redgum. I have a couple more on the go on the bench behind the camera in local hardwoods

Attachments

• IMG_3282.JPG
    IMG_3282.JPG
    525.2 KB · Views: 130

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Very cool! I understand the timber problem—at least you gave yourself a lot of flexibility for off center turnings.

Those WIP pieces are very nice! I’ve always wanted to get my hands on some redgum. I like that carving jog as well. Something I am definitely lacking.

Very cool! I understand the timber problem—at least you gave yourself a lot of flexibility for off center turnings.

Those WIP pieces are very nice! I’ve always wanted to get my hands on some redgum. I like that carving jog as well. Something I am definitely lacking.
Redgum would one of the most common used as its much softer than many others. The Jig is made out of a tow ball with chuck adapter welded on to it

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Jig is made out of a tow ball with chuck adapter welded on to it
oh that’s clever! What’s going on with the ball to the left of your gouges? All of the attachments—what are they? (Obviously not asking what ALL of them are).

I hear you about sweetgum. There are a bunch of Australian woods that would be nice to work with. Gidgee is a dreamwood, though I’d probably handcarve whatever chunk I had.

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Oh sorry, I meant to the left of the gouges on the wall. The upright board with holes drilled into it. Looks like some air compressor attachments (?) though likely not. Just curious.

Edit: on second glance, I think I see some ring a hook attachments, and maybe some hollowing tips, but also a bunch of unidentifiable (to me) things.

Double edit: forgive all the typos. I’m on my phone this evening and my fat thumbs aren’t that great at hitting the right letters lol

Last edited:
Oh sorry, I meant to the left of the gouges on the wall. The upright board with holes drilled into it. Looks like some air compressor attachments (?) though likely not. Just curious.

Edit: on second glance, I think I see some ring a hook attachments, and maybe some hollowing tips, but also a bunch of unidentifiable (to me) things.

Double edit: forgive all the typos. I’m on my phone this evening and my fat thumbs aren’t that great at hitting the right letters lol
no worries, ok the board holds a lot hollowing attachments some some not so good, Plus little bent arms some with scrapers and or HSS hollowing tips, beading tool tips etc. I have moved away from fixed bent arms. As every new job needs a different bend :( :) now I have flexible type heads.

oh that’s clever! What’s going on with the ball to the left of your gouges? All of the attachments—what are they? (Obviously not asking what ALL of them are).

I hear you about sweetgum. There are a bunch of Australian woods that would be nice to work with. Gidgee is a dreamwood, though I’d probably handcarve whatever chunk I had.
Gidgee isnt too bad but it hard to find large blanks as the trees tends to hollow out as the diameter grows. Have look here this guy specializes in desert trees and turnings

Last edited:

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Ah, I see now--I couldn't make sense of the flexible heads, but they stand out now. Cheers!

And woah---thanks for that link! I've bookmarked it on my computer. There is a ton to unpack on that guy's page. His wooden egg gallery is astonishing. I guess it's probably the most extensive in the world? I love (probably as does everyone here) learning about new species, and seeing how they can be utilized. Sort of reminds me of Norm Sartorius' spoons, where many of his pieces are from varieties that you wouldn't be able to do much else with. Maybe small finials, and whatnot... Good stuff though!

odie

TOTW Team
Finally got around to getting current photos of my shop......I won't bore you guys with all the photos I submitted earlier in this thread. This is the current status of my shop.....and, I see many things that have changed over the past year. I guess that's status quo for everyone! :)

-----odie-----

Attachments

• IMG_1168.JPG
    IMG_1168.JPG
    742.1 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_1169.JPG
    IMG_1169.JPG
    672.6 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_1175.JPG
    IMG_1175.JPG
    700.2 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_1174.JPG
    IMG_1174.JPG
    413.9 KB · Views: 94
Thanks Odie! It is always fun to poke around in someone else's shop! I have to ask:
1) what is the blue pool noodle for? I'm guessing maybe a hip protector?
2) do you use the steady rest often? In viewing the prolific number of bowls you produce and your amazing attention to drying your wood, I wouldn't have thought you needed it.
3) do you burnish your scrapers?

To a point, I'm the same way. I'm OCD when it comes to having a place for everything, and everything in it's place. The shavings and dust are pretty much swept up from the walkways and benchtops.....but, if you looked behind things, in corners, under the benches......the buildup of dust and shavings is close to embarrassment levels! :)

-----odie-----
Same here. I hate stumbling over crap on the floor, but there's plenty in the corners around the lathe. "Push broom clean" with an occasional deep dive works for me. I did pull and clean all the lenses on the ceiling lights last week and vacuumed the dust off the ductwork, making everything a bit lighter. Past time for window cleaning too.

odie

TOTW Team
Thanks Odie! It is always fun to poke around in someone else's shop! I have to ask:
1) what is the blue pool noodle for? I'm guessing maybe a hip protector?
2) do you use the steady rest often? In viewing the prolific number of bowls you produce and your amazing attention to drying your wood, I wouldn't have thought you needed it.
3) do you burnish your scrapers?

Hi Will..... :)

1) Yep, that is a hip protector. I have two of them in two different widths. There is a separate post describing them with photos at this link:

2) I use the steady rest on every bowl. Sometimes it makes little, or no difference, but you never know if it'll help or not, unless you use it.
The times that it does help, makes the set-up well worth using it every time.

3) I assume you mean to ask if I manually raise a bur on my scrapers, and the answer is yes. I use a bur that's left from grinding on most of my scraper needs, but do manually raise a bur when I shear scrape.

-----odie-----

Yes, I did mean manually raise a burr as I spied what looked like a scraper burnisher. Thanks for the info on the steady rest. I do have a fixed headstock lathe so I think some padding might be helpful. For certain tasks I use a piece of foam pipe insulation as an armrest.Foam rest.jpg

It's always a mess, but everything is close at hand. My grinder is next to me, lathe tools are on a wall rack (just a 2x6 with holes) about knee high. Drive centers are on the window sill and/or rack above lathe tools. Chucks are up on the shelf above. Hanging from it are chuck wrenches, mortise/tenon size guides, face shield and dust collector remote. Sandpaper and disks are in a wall mounted rack above grinder. I love having a power strip right on the front of the lathe. No more extension cords!
This has been sort of pieced together over the years. I'll admit, I'm a little envious of the people that know exactly how they want stuff and build it new. Someday a redo would be nice, but it sounds like such a huge task and I'd rather just keep turning.

IMG_20220113_173348409.jpgIMG_20220918_165532811.jpgIMG_20220918_165700191.jpg

Back