• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Show us your tool rack/cart

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I wonder just how many of us have told ourselves....."Ah, now I have everything just the way I want it", only to re-evaluate and modify our shop tool storage again.....and again! :rolleyes:

It seems to be the case with me, and I assume it's the same for everyone else, too........the shop is a perpetual "work in progress"! :D

ko

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I wonder just how many of us have told ourselves....."Ah, now I have everything just the way I want it", only to re-evaluate and modify our shop tool storage again.....and again! :rolleyes:

It seems to be the case with me, and I assume it's the same for everyone else, too........the shop is a perpetual "work in progress"! :D

ko

So, how long has your work-in-progress been going on and what is the anticipated completion date? :D :D (you can round it off to decades) :)

odie

TOTW Team
So, how long has your work-in-progress been going on and what is the anticipated completion date? :D :D (you can round it off to decades) :)

This has been going on since 1982 with the lathe related tools. I could make a wild guess when it will stop.......but, I know I would be wrong!:rolleyes: Probably the day I die, is the day I will stop fiddling around with changing things around!

Here is another one of my shop rules......like that darned "Do it now" thing:

koIMG_2438.JPG

odie

TOTW Team
I really do enjoy seeing other shops that look well used.....and "lived in"......!:)

......and, we certainly are seeing those things in this thread. :D:cool::D

Actually, it's kinda like the Wizard of Oz, when you see what's behind the curtain! o_O

ko

odie

TOTW Team
the round thing is like a lazy Susan and is made from a satellite dish mount.
IMG_0636.JPG resized_LI.jpg
Fred......I like this! It's very handy to have accessories right there when you need them. I have essentially the same thing that rests between the bedway rails.
IMG_0440 (2).JPG
I hope this thread stays alive......I find it so interesting to see other's shops........:D

odie

TOTW Team
Another thing I find very interesting, is how shops evolve over time. After posting this photo in the above post.....
IMG_0440 (2).JPG
I realized just how much this accessory table has evolved over the years.......quite a lot! :D
IMG_2439.JPG
If you've got any "evolving" photos........let's see 'em! :)
ko

Last edited:

odie

TOTW Team
We've seen the clean and organized work shops, now lets see the ones with shavings piled on the floor and
a quarter inch of wood dust on every surface. :)

Right on, bro !...........:D

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
We've seen the clean and organized work shops, now lets see the ones with shavings piled on the floor and
a quarter inch of wood dust on every surface. :)

I'll go clean my shop so there's only a 1/4" of dust everywhere then post a photo. :)

odie

TOTW Team
These two photos were taken moments ago.....,.....IMG_2440.JPG
Behind the lathe is what accumulated since Monday evening. (Tuesday is garbage day):D
IMG_2441.JPG
I sweep up several times per day, and this is after I swept last......plenty of dust here, though! o_O

odie

TOTW Team
Website
www.revolvingarts.ca
I made this one out of scrap plywood and it has served me well.
View attachment 21281
Edited. I should have also included this image.
View attachment 21328

I was designing a similar machine with an I-Beam as the main frame.

So Steve, either you had professional cleaners in before these pictures, or...you're Swiss. :)
I can't get my shop anywhere near that spotless.

My normal state of affairs looks more like this:
266213_orig.jpg

When its not covered in dust...

LOL, wrong on both counts Olaf!

For some reason, I just find it therapeutic to grab a broom at the end the day so that I can start with a fresh workspace the following day. Weird, I know. :confused:

Six inches of shavings on a concrete floor provides a nice cushion to stand and walk on.
I am considering covering the entire floor in wood shavings and pouring clear poly over the
entire surface for a finished floor. The daily wood turned shavings will be hard to discern
from the finished floor. :)

Chuck Lobaito

AAW Board Member
I don't have 1/2 the tools John does ..........

with me, pegboard wall holds chucks & larger accessories, and 500w halogen backlighting
cabinet holds lathe, all turning tools used on regular basis are in plastic tubes mounted to back, with another 500w halogen light lighting front of work......
top & bottom drawers hold lathe accessories, middle 2 drawers hold turning tools not used all too frequently (hollowing, etc.)

the base of cabinet raised to accommodate my stance needed because of bad back.

View attachment 7382
View attachment 7383
Question for you - I have the same lathe and bench setup. How do you clean up the shavings in the bedways easily?

odie

TOTW Team
Does anyone have an issue with using magnets with theirctool holders and magnetizing the tools. Resulting in tool rub on the tool rest.

I do.........I have an issue with magnetized tools. They pick up grinding dust. I guess one could debate whether the microscopic metal dust interferes with the ability to smoothly slide on the tool rest, but I do everything I can to make the "slide" as slick as I can. That philosophy does result in better tool handling, when the main object is to provide a tooled surface, ready for sanding at the finest possible grit.

When I see metal dust sticking to my tools, I get out the tape demagnetizer and eliminate the problem.

s-l1600.jpg

-----odie-----

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Does anyone have an issue with using magnets with theirctool holders and magnetizing the tools. Resulting in tool rub on the tool rest.
I dislike having magnetized tools. They sort of stick to the tool rest. I have a magnetic cup I use to hold hollowing tips accidentally magnetized a tool. It just would not slid smoothly on th tool,rest.

If I have to push to overcome the "magnetic friction", gummed up dirt friction, bumps, or dents on a tool rest it intefers with letting the tool move withnthe cut.

odie

TOTW Team
Back to topic.....Here are a couple of recent photos where the lathe itself serves as a platform for holding everything I need for sanding operations......it's sort of like a tool rack that is outside of the normal perimeters!IMG_2684.JPG IMG_2685.JPG :

odie

TOTW Team
Those of us here who have been turning for some time, realize our tool storage racks, carts, tables, drawers, and whatever we have that serves to make turning tools accessible and convenient.......realize this is NEVER a permanent thing. It's ALWAYS a WIP (Work In Progress).

There is that old saying about "a woman's work is never done"........well, if you are going to continually make progress in your turning efforts, then the same-o applies to YOU and YOUR SHOP.......always and forever!

Your shop is NEVER done.....even though you wish it were! There is ALWAYS something that needs to be done to improve it.....and you.....:D

This is why this topic/thread is one of my favorites of all time. I really do enjoy seeing what and how others deal with putting together a shop that works for them. Often times, it gives me inspiration for improving my own shop!.....;)

-----odie-----

Last edited:

odie

TOTW Team
More shop and tool storage photos taken this morning 6/11/17.....

There are actually quite a few little changes and improvements made recently......but, they are probably more obvious to me than anyone else......:D

-----odie-----

1. Sandpaper storage
2. Secondary lathe tool storage
3. Tool rest storage
4. Grinder and accessories
5. Perspective photo
6. 1992 Woodfast lathe
7. Accessory table and primary tools storage
8. Work bench
9. Storage of bowls being seasoned, and those ready to mount
10. Storage of bowls in progress (W.I.P.)

IMG_2832.JPG IMG_2833.JPG IMG_2834.JPG IMG_2835.JPG IMG_2836.JPG IMG_2838.JPG IMG_2839.JPG IMG_2843.JPG IMG_2844.JPG IMG_2842.JPG

Last edited:
Odie as many of our turning changes...ie....bowls to hf to Xmas ornaments to multi-axis to candlestick to whatever...our shop changes......your shop is very neat and organize....some of us stuff is organise on what we last worked on.....and is plainly seen

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com
Late to the party, but I try to keep all the lathe tools together. I make this cabinet for my Nova DVR. Works well for me, in my small workshop. It rolls out of the way when I'm not turning.

Nicely done!

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com
More shop and tool storage photos taken this morning 6/11/17.....

There are actually quite a few little changes and improvements made recently......but, they are probably more obvious to me than anyone else......:D

-----odie-----

1. Sandpaper storage
2. Secondary lathe tool storage
3. Tool rest storage
4. Grinder and accessories
5. Perspective photo
6. 1992 Woodfast lathe
7. Accessory table and primary tools storage
8. Work bench
9. Storage of bowls being seasoned, and those ready to mount
10. Storage of bowls in progress (W.I.P.)

View attachment 22750 View attachment 22751 View attachment 22752 View attachment 22753 View attachment 22754 View attachment 22755 View attachment 22756 View attachment 22758 View attachment 22759 View attachment 22757

Oldie,

As usual, your tidiness & usefulness are laudable. Thank you for sharing.

Rich

My tools live in a rolling lift cart. When I put my Nova Comet away, it lives on top of this cart and everything tucks away nicely.

Attachments

• 2a.jpg
    2a.jpg
    327.6 KB · Views: 211
Website
turnedbygeorge.com
I used this setup for years.
I recently bought a LARGE estate and have had to totally rethink everything.
I'm working on a much larger multi purpose rack right now... I'll add images when it's doneNewToolsRack.jpg NewToolsRackWTools.jpg

Back