• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What’s on your lathe?

That is what the felt was for:p

Yeah, I still have some moth eaten green felt somewhere waiting for another use...;)

Stickers were the other quick way of dealing with the screw holes.

Oh how I loved the chucks when they became available!

Last edited:
Turning some green walnut. The grain on this one reminds me of the Great Red Spot and swirling clouds on the planet Jupiter. Might need some epoxy on this one when it dries, there’s a small bark inclusion to the right of the “red spot”.
View attachment 50336
For bark inclusions and small voids, the coffee ground routine works very nicely, the stuff looks so much like bark and it is solid, it is wood.

Just use barely moist coffee ground and pack that in the opening, then just use thin CA and saturate it.

I did fill the spot on this platter and it looks just fine.

Elm platter.jpg

Website
jpseyfried.com
Here is a Catalpa bowl I'm working on. I coated several with Anchorseal when I roughed them out and they didn't warp very much at all drying. I don't know if it is the nature of the wood or if the Anchorseal has anything to do with it. This bowl is about 18" now, the wood is light and some of the grain sands out easily. So I thought I'd try using Danish oil before sanding might help (maybe sanding sealer would be a better choice?). Latter today I'll see if it helps when I sand it.

catalpa642.jpgcatalpa643.jpg

Here is a Catalpa bowl I'm working on. I coated several with Anchorseal when I roughed them out and they didn't warp very much at all drying. I don't know if it is the nature of the wood or if the Anchorseal has anything to do with it. This bowl is about 18" now, the wood is light and some of the grain sands out easily. So I thought I'd try using Danish oil before sanding might help (maybe sanding sealer would be a better choice?). Latter today I'll see if it helps when I sand it.

View attachment 50360View attachment 50361
James, Catalpa is a wood that does dry without splitting or distorting,I have large chunks sitting that have never had anything on them, just air dry in my shop at that time and now sitting in the storage shed.

Watch putting the oil on it, it likes to suck it up and get real dark.
Catalpa blanks.jpgCatalpa bowl.jpg

Leo a couple of guys at our club have been doing that and it does look good. Nice platter.
Rusty. the idea came to me when I found a couple tile cutouts for the toilet openings, at my son's new build place, the tile setter did a real nice round cutout, so I got then the large Elm platter and turned it so the tile did fit in, then gave it to my son, they did like it and have had it often on the large island they have.

The Australian brown Mallee burl was finished last night, other than it's still on the waste block waiting to have the foot done. The foot will be done in about 2 weeks time. The Danish oil has just been applied in these two photos......I came in from the shop past 1am last night.....which is pretty much normal for me! :)

The third photo is of my current stash being seasoned and waste blocks applied.....

View attachment 50165 View attachment 50166 View attachment 50167

-----odie-----
take-bow-13026234.jpg
Hats off to you Odie!!

While waiting for my main project to dry I grabbed a piece of fire wood and made a glass.
glass2-23-23.JPG
Main project is now coated with sealant and drying on my paint bench.

woodpeckerdone.JPG
It looks much better than the iphone can capture.

Attachments

• IMG_4046.JPG
    IMG_4046.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Currently working on Cedar Elm bowl. At least that is common name here in North Central Texas. Looking for ideas on how to handle the torn end grain, I’ve quickly sanded with 80 grit, sealed with sanding sealer, and added saw dust to fill the holes. Next step is to finish sanding the inside.

Attachments

• 86B80867-E47D-42E8-89DD-4C9DEECF731B.jpeg
    86B80867-E47D-42E8-89DD-4C9DEECF731B.jpeg
    577 KB · Views: 36
  • 049F34BE-1A5D-4676-AB92-9F35E80B5CB3.jpeg
    049F34BE-1A5D-4676-AB92-9F35E80B5CB3.jpeg
    474.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 0B8131A9-50DD-4B87-AB65-0192DC8F345E.jpeg
    0B8131A9-50DD-4B87-AB65-0192DC8F345E.jpeg
    466.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 7739CA23-F1CF-4589-A6E6-1451997A2E24.jpeg
    7739CA23-F1CF-4589-A6E6-1451997A2E24.jpeg
    441.8 KB · Views: 38
Currently working on Cedar Elm bowl. At least that is common name here in North Central Texas. Looking for ideas on how to handle the torn end grain, I’ve quickly sanded with 80 grit, sealed with sanding sealer, and added saw dust to fill the holes. Next step is to finish sanding the inside.
I do a finish cut. I will sharpen my gouge and take a light cut from the Chuck to the rim. Sometimes two light cuts. That normally gets rid of the tear out for me. My starting grit for sanding is 125.

I've been playing around with turquoise lately. I think I would fill close to the top of each void with epoxy as a filler, let dry, carve out as needed to leave about 1/8 inch void to the top and then fill with crushed turquoise. I have not tried large areas, I've been widening knots, cracks and small voids with a dremel then do the T-inlay. I would try it with that bowl personally. IMHO

Here's one I just finished and shot of what I did with the rim:

Attachments

• TBowl.jpg
    TBowl.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 32
  • Tbowl2.jpg
    Tbowl2.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Ziricote.....photo taken earlier yesterday, and I finished it last night.....except for it's still on the waste block, and the foot needs to be done. A fairly difficult wood to get a clean cut, but can be done with sharp tools.

-----odie-----

IMG_1516.JPG

Ziricote.....photo taken earlier yesterday, and I finished it last night.....except for it's still on the waste block, and the foot needs to be done. A fairly difficult wood to get a clean cut, but can be done with sharp tools.

-----odie-----

View attachment 50566
Lovely work, per usual, Odie.
That Zircote is some interesting stuff. I’ve never worked it, but am interested.
Your work shows the beauty of this wood, quite effectively.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I did buy one of Odie's pieces. Pictures are nice, but you need to seem them in person to really appreciate the work that goes into them...

robo hippy

Hey, thanks for the good word, robo......:)

That Black and White Ebony was one of the most cantankerous pieces of wood I've ever turned.....glad you got it for your collection, sir!

Here is a thread discussing the cracks that developed in that bowl:

-----odie-----

img_6087-2-jpg.34416
img_6088-2-jpg.34417

Last edited:
Back