• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What’s on your lathe?

The start of a walnut urn from crotch wood. The other side is rather plain grain. But this side is rather wild. Freshly cut from a crotch that had sat for about 9 months. When drilled out prior to hollowing, the bit wandered off centre by at least a quarter inch by the time it reached the bottom, probably due to the irregular interior grain.IMG_1977.jpeg

Triumphs and Tragedies Dept.

Was turning the back center area before cutting it off the glue block and got a catch. The force just shattered this rather fragile sculptural piece 😕

I like the design, but next time I’ll leave thicker rings on the back for strength.

Photos: Concept Drawing, Turned, Incised, Shattered

Attachments

• IMG_1192.jpeg
    IMG_1192.jpeg
    407.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1189.jpeg
    IMG_1189.jpeg
    359.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1181.jpeg
    IMG_1181.jpeg
    308.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1186.jpeg
    IMG_1186.jpeg
    395.9 KB · Views: 39

Was turning the back center area before cutting it off the glue block and got a catch. The force just shattered this rather fragile sculptural piece 😕

I like the design, but next time I’ll leave thicker rings on the back for strength.

Given the number of segments involved, I imagine it came apart in spectacular fashion 💥

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team

Tough break, Pat. That’s what happens pushing the envelope though. I’ll say that even your scraps look awesome 😊

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com

It happens.

If they are not yet ashes, you have parts for a great wall sculpture
Ring side up, ring side down, pieces set at angles…..
Add color
Mount on wood or connect with a metal framework
Better than a box of legos

Last edited:
technically now off the lathe, a piece of bubinga, 5 1/2 inch diameter and 2 1/2 inch height hollow form. Wall about 3/16 inch thick. Wood was dry so did it all today. Trying to learn to do hollow forms . . .

Attachments

• IMG_6342.jpeg
    IMG_6342.jpeg
    265.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_6340.jpeg
    IMG_6340.jpeg
    515.3 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Dug up a couple Japanese Yew and had a nice root ball so said to self , “Why not”? This is the first one turned to desired thickness as if it moves will be good part of the whole thing. Have it in chips now and we will see if it cracks.

IMG_8852.jpegIMG_8853.jpeg

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Working late in the shop tonight.

Brown Mallee burl with a small streak of spike burl along the edge....

This bowl presented some problems with preserving the very desirable spike burl within the overall design of the bowl. I was able to do it with an abnormally large outer rim edge and very flat rim top. There was also a very large crack that was filled with sanding dust mixed with clear epoxy. This repair is visible in the top of the bowl exterior. I left all the other cracks as is, but the big one needed some help!

I'm tired....will hit the sack shortly! :)

-o-

20240508_203823.jpg 20240508_203915.jpg

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
WOYL* friends,

Who is heading to Portland? I thought it would be fun to meet up.I’ll be volunteering at the registration tables on 05/23/2024 from 4:00 PM - 6:30 PM -

*WOYL (What’s On Your Lathe?)
See you there!! I'm volunteering in the instant gallery Thursday 8a - 1p. Should be fun!

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
I don't turn boxes very often, but I do enjoy the challenge. I bought my wife a birthstone ring for our youngest son, and wanted to make a nice little box to go along with it. So, I decided to try my hand at a Neil Turner style ring box where the post/finger/whatever fits through a hole in the top of the lid. Thanks to @Tom Gall Tom's tips nearly a year ago (finally got around to making the box--time flies, woah!), I was successful.

IMG_8234.JPG
IMG_8236.JPG
IMG_8237.JPG
IMG_8235.JPG

I hand-sanded a bit more after these pics, and am finishing with hemp oil. I may add a protective coat of lacquer sometime down the road once the oil cures. We'll see.

Last edited:
I don't turn boxes very often, but I do enjoy the challenge. I bought my wife a birthstone ring for our youngest son, and wanted to make a nice little box to go along with it. So, I decided to try my hand at a Neil Turner style ring box. Thanks to @Tom Gall Tom's tips nearly a year ago (finally got around to making the box--time flies, woah!), I was successful.

View attachment 63285
View attachment 63286
View attachment 63287
View attachment 63288

I hand-sanded a bit more after these pics, and am finishing with hemp oil. I may add a protective coat of lacquer sometime down the road once the oil cures. We'll see.
Michael:
Nice! I fully plan to copy this idea!
Cheers.
Barry W. Larson
Calgary, Alberta, Canada eh!

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
I don't turn boxes very often, but I do enjoy the challenge. I bought my wife a birthstone ring for our youngest son, and wanted to make a nice little box to go along with it. So, I decided to try my hand at a Neil Turner style ring box where the post/finger/whatever fits through a hole in the top of the lid. Thanks to @Tom Gall Tom's tips nearly a year ago (finally got around to making the box--time flies, woah!), I was successful.

View attachment 63285
View attachment 63286
View attachment 63287
View attachment 63288

Lookin' real good, Michael. Pretty nice grain match too (at least on this side :) ). You're almost as much of a procrastinator as I am ... only two days to go! Glad I was of some help.

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Lookin' real good, Michael. Pretty nice grain match too (at least on this side :) ). You're almost as much of a procrastinator as I am ... only two days to go! Glad I was of some help.
Thanks Tom. I tried to pick the straightest grain blank I had. Could’ve been straighter though. Good enough! And hahaha, don’t think too highly of me. I ordered the ring online, and it’s supposed to arrive Saturday. We’ll see! Alyse might be getting a box with an IOU for the ring 😂

Website
www.ovwg.org

View attachment 63285
View attachment 63286
View attachment 63287
View attachment 63288

Awesome Michael!!! The grain match, wall thickness and stem look fantastic. 10/10 says the box master!!😁 Kidding!

Last edited:
Neighbour had a large Hackberry tree go down in backyard and said I could cut and take what I wanted. 13 Bowl blanks later and a ton of work to get them from a ravine with a wheelbarrow to the street. Started turning them a week or so ago. Finally finished roughing them out, sealed and ready for storage for 6 -12 months. My wife is wondering if I will every start finishing any?

Attachments

• IMG_5605 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_5605 Medium.jpeg
    95 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5555 4 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_5555 4 Medium.jpeg
    105.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5557 3 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_5557 3 Medium.jpeg
    104.8 KB · Views: 19
Back