• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

WTB - Soren Berger Sphere Caliper

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Can’t help you with the calipers.
you probably know a manual layout.

there is a shortcut I use in the layout. Just Mark 20% either side of center an leave the line the error from .41….. is insignificant for spheres 5” diameter and less. If you have a digital vernier with metric the layout is quick.
not as quick a Sorens calipers But close.
24B22477-C976-49B4-A7F3-A771339EAC16.jpeg E699E73E-E43F-4B31-BD0A-B08DC5331994.jpeg

Set of notes I use in the demo

You may be interested in video of a demo I did in Hartford.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmCvOP2Mpmw
!

Dennis J Gooding

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
If anyone has a set that they are no longer using, I am interested in a buy or trade.

John, if your do not find a Berger calipers, you might want to consider a graphical technique that I explain in my post in the Tutorials and Tips Forum January 28,2016. The title is "Simple aid for turning spheres without a jig". Like Berger's method, this method does not require any calibrated measuring devices and does not require any computation. It also offers higher order approximations to a sphere than the Berger system which provides 8-sided or 16-sided approximations.

Other postings on January 21,24, 2019 tell how my method can be extended to the turning of spheroids and ovoids. Finally my posting of January 22, 2019 tells how to use the Berger caliper to turn spheroids. This may be of interest to if you do obtain a Berger unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back