• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Zach LaPerriere

Website
www.zachlaperriere.com
I've been turning seriously for three years, by which I mean 30-40 hours most weeks. I salvage all the wood I turn from the forest within 10 miles of my home, the Tongass National Forest. Most what I turn is old growth, usually over a hundred years and sometimes as much as 800 years old. That's why I only salvage dead and downed trees.

The species I turn aren't easy...softwoods and softer hardwoods. All local woods: red alder, mountain ash (rowan), western hemlock, Alaska yellow cedar (a true cypress), Sitka spruce. So my learning curve has been steep. I've made my living as a woodworker for 25 years, but that only helped a bit. Flat woodwork is so different.

I live with my family in a little old cabin in the forest right at the ocean's edge. Three boys, ages: 15, 11, and 7. We harvest much of what we eat locally. That means our subsistence is what takes most of our "free" time, what many would call a hobby.

I'm half crazy and turn in an open shop under my house. Currently warming up my toes while tea is steeping.

Here's me looking more serious than I really am for a photoshoot, and a couple of bowls.

I'd love to hear more about who else is on the forum. Don't be shy!

image.jpeg

index.php

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Zach,
Your work is impressive regardless of time in turning.
I like your curves and surface.
For someone with 3 years ~ 6000 hours it is extra impressive because there is a standard of 10,000 hours to get truly good at something.

It’s great that you have that abundance of material to work with.

Back