• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

mulberry

1. Small mulberry bowl

Small mulberry bowl

This wasn't my first bowl, but it was my first time using a bowl gouge (I used carbide scrapers before). Finished and photographed almost a year ago. Some feather figure and nice chatoyance.
  2. Spalted Mulberry

Spalted Mulberry

7" diam. Top view. Disappearing rotten wood created the window.
  3. Unintended Consequences

Unintended Consequences

Mulberry with Padauk knob, crack filled with amber CA, finished with Watco Danish oil, normal end grain turning, but the concentric grain rings from the off center pith make the turned rings appear to be off center.
  4. Mulberry Paperweight

Mulberry Paperweight

Dimensions: 3.25"diameter From the same log as Mulberry Lace and others. This was a lesson on turning a sphere, which is much harder than you would think. Your eye has a hard time seeing a perfect sphere. This was another webcam project. I left this piece heavy so it could be used...
  5. Mulberry Carved & Pierced vessel

Mulberry Carved & Pierced vessel

Mulberry. 3.25" wide by 4.75" tall. This is a rustic piece, as opposed to Mulberry Lace's delicate appearance. I turned the vessel to about .25" thick. This pieced was worked, for the majority of the detailing, live on my webcam. People from all over the planet watched me...
  6. Mulberry Lace

Mulberry Lace

Started as a demo for my woodworkers club round robin night. Piece is 4.5"h, 4.5"w. Wall thickness is 1/16" or less. Natural edge. Pierced sapwood border. This shot shows the great grain in the bottom and how translucent the piece is. I love working with mulberry. Higher...
  7. Mulberry Lace

Mulberry Lace

Started as a demo for my woodworkers club round robin night. Piece is 4.5"h, 4.5"w. Wall thickness is 1/16" or less. Natural edge. Pierced sapwood border. Higher quality/more photos are available on my website in the gallery.
  8. Mulberry pieces

Mulberry pieces

Get more photos & details on my site. From a mulberry branch. The vase is an end grain, natural edge design and the bowl was the left over wood still on the chuck when I parted off the vase. Too pretty to waste. Turned wet down to about 1/16" and allowed to warp. Vase is 4...
  9. Red Mulberry Natural Edge Closed Form

Red Mulberry Natural Edge Closed Form

A footed natural edge closed form in red mulberry. This piece is part of my "Red Mulberry Collection", a set of commissioned pieces turned from a few chunks left over from the removal of a large tree that once graced a private home in downtown Annapolis. The owners wanted the pieces...
  10. Winter 2007 Contest

Winter 2007 Contest

"Dragons Breath" side view Measures 6.75"x1.5" at the rim. The dragon, made of Oregon Myrtlewood, was turned on 4 OC axis (no carving, not even between the horns). The upper stem was turned on 3 OC axis. The "flame" is White Mulberry dyed red. In the light...
  11. Holy Mulberries

Holy Mulberries

White Mulberry. The piece measures 4"x2.5" and is less than 2mm thick down to the bottom 1". It has a mineral oil finish, nothing more. It was a fun one to turn.
  12. Mulberry Vessel Carved Rim

Mulberry Vessel Carved Rim

6 3/4 in. tall, 4 in. wide, 1/16 to 1/4 in. thick, spalted mulberry hollow vessel with carved top rim, bark inclusions. Wood source: clearing the fence line.
  13. Mulberry Vessel

Mulberry Vessel

5 5/8 in. tall, 3 in. wide, 3/16 to 1/4 in. thick, mulberry hollow vessel. Wood source: clearing the fence line.
  14. Cookies and Ice Cream Detail

Cookies and Ice Cream Detail

Close-up showing the details. The cookie crumbs are made from coffee grounds and white glue. Melted ice cream is acrylic paint applied with a spoon.
  15. AAW Forum Contest

AAW Forum Contest

Cookies and Ice Cream 8"x 3/4", Mulberry, Walnut, Acrylic, Pyrography, Acrylic Paints The platter is the mulberry and the cookie is a sandwich of walnut and white acrylic. The ants were burned on then their bodies textured with acrylic paint. The triangle pattern rim was done with...
Back