• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Curly Ash HF
George Guadiane

Curly Ash HF

This piece of wood had true diversity, heartwood, sapwood, curl, spalting, bark inclusions, punk and curl, LOTS of curl.
The pictures should be better, but the gloss caused reflection and I'm really not properly set up.
Height: 6 3/4 inches
Diameter: 6 inches
Finish: VanAqua 480 polyurethane
[B]As Always, All Questions, Comments and/or Critiques Welcome![/B]
Great piece of wood turned into a great HF. Graceful curves that flow together very naturally.

Thanks guys.
Charles,
I oil sand most of the time, that brings up the character. I sand down to 400 before I start applying WATER BASED polyurethane (oil based will take WEEKS after oil sanding - the oil slows down the drying time).
Several coats, sanding in between till I have enough thickness then sand to 2000 and buff.
"VanAqua 480" water based poly is a GREAT finish.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
George Guadiane
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename