• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Maple vase
George Van Beynen

Maple vase

In further trials with the ogee shape I decided to do my first vase. This was green hard maple that had a larger heart than normal which I like for the contrast with the sapwood next to the bark. I enjoyed this turning as it is different than other turnings I have done. If the pith is stronger on my next try I will make the cove smaller diameter. This pith was weak and the top was wobbling as much as I felt comfortable with. I did not want it to fracture off. The vase is 5 high by 6 wide. Finish one coat of lacquer. Comments and suggestions are welcome.
Sorry to see this so late Jerry, I didn't see the notice. This was put in a paper bag, the pith was off center and checked only slightly.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
George Van Beynen
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename