• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Masur birch boxes
P

Masur birch boxes

This trio of boxes were turned on first weekend of our box/hollowform course. I was teaching at box turning course and these were my demonstration pieces of that weekend. Perhaps students got some inspiration. These are small, round one is about 2-2 1/2" diameter. Masur birch and blackwood, cubical box has goldfield burl lid with unknown pen blank finial. That finial is intentionally leaning to one direction. Pod box was multi-axis exercise. Pod and cube are textured with Arbortech.

All comments and critique are welcome.
I likes these, the middle one especially, for some reason. You have given me inspiration to try a few new shapes for boxes. Thanks.

Al

These are really nice and interesting. I wish we had masur birch readily (and inexpensively) available in the US. I'm curious about how you did the multiaxis box did you do the multiaxis turning before you hollowed it and fit the lid? Also, did you use a special fixture to hold the blank for multiaxis turning? Sorry for all the questions. Again very nice work!

John

As with much of what you produce, these boxes are truly "outside the box." Keep it up.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Petteri Leppikallio
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device