• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Padouk and pau amarello 49 step spirals.
J

Padouk and pau amarello 49 step spirals.

Yes here we are again presenting!! (lol) a just finished pair of my most stepped spirals to date.
The original round blank at a beginning length of 9 inches and 3 and 1/2 diameter. The spirals are 49 steps that are just over an 1/8" high and 1 and 15/16" diameter the finished height is 7 and 1/2". There are 16 steps to the circle (see 2nd image). and the steps are as always turned from the round blank and not glued.
Comments always welcome .
Regards Jeff
Bravo! Jeff.

Do you use an Oland-type cutter for these? Or something smaller and longer?

(I think you need a separate upload for each image. "2nd image" seems to be AWOL.)

Hi Joe and Don
Thanks for your comments. I use a hss cobalt usually 1/4" square blank with the sides self ground for my requirements.
All the best from Jeff.

Many thanks Lou
I love making these pieces . The one I'm on now will be somewhat different again I am adding veneer hoping it will still be visible.
Best from Jeff.

This spiral pair which is titled `Steinzeit`(German for stone age)
will be available for bids in the silent auction at the Saint Pauls Symposium in June.
Hope to see you there Best from Jeff

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Jeff Greenwood
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata