• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Greenwood Land Fun Mark II
Richard Kennedy

Greenwood Land Fun Mark II

I am going to have to start going to greenturners anonymous if this keeps going I fear I am getting addicted

Bit bigger than yesterday Sycamore (great ribbons of wood wow!) 170mm x 140mm x 2mm

C&C welcomed Had a few issues with this bit its all new and great fun

Richard
As accomplished a turner as you are Richard, I am surprised you have just discovered the joys of turning green. Fun!

Richard
First off this is a very nice piece of work. I have a question would you mind telling how you picked the wood and achieved the open shape with natural edge lower than the turning?
Thanks

Hi thanks for all your comments

Hal I knew it was there I just didn't have the time or equipment to get to it Just got the bandsaw fixed after about 2 years sitting in the shop waiting also as I work between two workshops that are 259miles apart I only have access to it when I am in Durham so now I can use it. I think I will have to try and find other ways of converting a log when I am in Scotland perhaps a chainsaw (if I can overcome my fear of the things)

Bill the wood is sycamore I chose it because I was out with the dogs it was on the ground and was a length and size I could carry and fit through the bandsaw!

The open shape is achieved due to the shape of the log nothing fancy its just a regular shape but by making the top of the bowl from the natural edge you automatically get this shape. You just have to be carefull not to catch the edges when turning as 1 you break the bowl and 2 it can bloomin well hurt!

Richard

Natural edged bowls, turned green, are my favorite objects to turn. This one appears to be quite nice. Any chance you will show it in Hartford?

Don

Hi Don once again I am unable to get to the US for the symposium but One day I will come and hopefully show something for now I fear you will have to make do with the photos here! (in the flesh you can see all the mistakes lol )

Richard

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Richard Kennedy
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata