• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Releaf V
Releaf V

Kauri
Length: 255mm (10")

This is the fifth piece in this series and probably the most organic. The under side of the leaf is carved to match the top. The under side of the bowl is carved as well. After the piece was carved I sandblasted it except for the inside of the bowl.
Critiques and comments welcome.
Robbie I like this piece a lot. Nice variation on the typical winged bowl, and nice contrast with the sandblasting. How do you remove the bulk of the wood after turning prior to carving. Do you use a band saw to remove the large wing sections?

WOW! Excellent!!!

It's the single most interesting bowl I have seen in a long time! Well done!

A

Hi Paul, There isn't much wood to take off as the wings are only about 6mm (1/4") thick. I turn the piece with four wings, two up and two down and remove the opposites. I remove the wings with the mini arbortech and finish with a dremel. Removing the bottom wing takes the longest because more care is needed when working under the top wing. I hope this helps understanding how it's done. Robbie

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Robbie Graham
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename