• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Mesquite & Turquoise Vase
B

Mesquite & Turquoise Vase

Red Mesquite with Turquoise nuggets and powdered Turquoise fill between nuggets. The blue green turquoise color blends well with Mesquite. Red colored Mesquite is somewhat scarce - being mostly a brownish color in East Texas. This piece is from north of Brownsville. Vase is 9" D x 8 1/2" H.
Thank you Paul. The form on this piece did turn out well. Use of Turquoise nuggets rather than powder and pieces, presents a problem in getting the Turquoise ground flat without damage to the wood. I was able to get the stones flattened successfully without damage to the rim, which would have ruined this piece. The nuggets do look much better with differing colors for each stone. Thanks again.

Bill; very well done and I love the contrasts of wood and stone. BTW, how did you level the nuggets?

Thanks Garmar for your favorable comments. They are very welcome. After getting the stones glued in and refilled with crushed stone to fill voids, I mounted the vase on my banjo with a threaded post so that the lip was horizontal. Using a Dremel with a flexible shaft and less than 80 grit sanding drum, proceeded to work on each stone individually. I did not level the full amount that way and it took quite awhile. There may be better ways to do it? I then mounted the vase on the lathe and used the sanding drum with slow rotation of the piece. When getting near the wood, I switched to a 2" bowl sanding pad and worked through grits from 100 to 400. The rotary sanding works better than using a flat blade with sand paper. Hope this answers your question. Thanks again.

Wow, that's alot of work, but the result is marvelous. Here's my idea for a sister to this turning: do it exactly the same way but leave the nuggets proud of the rim. I think the tactile contrast with the smoothness of the vessel would be very complimentary. I don't have any Mesquite to work with but I do have literally tons of Osage Orange, might give it a whirl myself. BTW, you mentioned a threaded post for your banjo, where might I find one of those? Again excellent form and finish, its really quite striking. I have a dealer of "fine wooden objects" who has requested some pieces with Turquoise included. Hmmm, this gives me an idea. Love the piece Bill, great work.

I have two banjo posts. One has the 1" dia post for the banjo with the threads for the chuck to match the lathe spindle threads on top. I have had this for several years. The other is a Trent Bosch articulated carving stand which mounts in the banjo as well. I use Trent's more than the other, but it is taller with all of the articulation features. I purchased these through Craft Supplies. I do not see the straight mounting post listed in their's or Packard Woods catalogue. All of these can be purchased through Best Wood Tools in Tennessee. Best Woods are made of a different material and I really like the Bosch Carving Stand. They all have web sites.

Thanks for the information Bill. I'll get those posts and give it a try.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Bill Pottorf
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename