• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Spalted Maple and Lyptus Pedestal Bowl
M

Spalted Maple and Lyptus Pedestal Bowl

Approximately 7" dia x 3" tall. I got (free) a nice little piece of hard Maple with some spalt lines along the edge. I added a Lyptus base to give the piece a little height and color. It is surprisingly stable with the solid Lyptus base. Again, I am a newbie turner so I would greatly appreciate the comments of others with more experience and a better eye. Thanks.
Hi Myron and welcome,
I really like the shape of this bowl, the bit of spalting is wonderful. IMHO
the Lyptus base is a distraction. I also like the photo.
Jim

Myron, I like the way you handled the spalting in the design and the shape of the bowl, independent of the base, is quite nice. I agree with James that the base is distracting. Some of the best bowl ratios are 2/3 basin, 1/3 base (in height) and a width ratio that allocates 1/3 of the width of the piece to the base. Although, IMHO, the base often looks better with an allocation of 1/2 the width of the piece.
Anyway, you've got a good start here. Incidentally, with the ratios I listed, you could still use the Lyptus for the base and it would work quite well.

Jim, thanks very much for the welcome and the comments. George, thanks for the advise. I will keep those rules of thumb in mind in the future. I really appreciate the help.

thanks,
Myron

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Myron Smith
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings