• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Walnut Burl Vase
KurtB

Walnut Burl Vase

My photo abilities need much work, but this is a great piece of walnut burl - I hope I did it justice. 9" x 4.5" overall, and finished with sanding sealer and lacquer. All comments are welcome - I want to improve!
Kurt,
Nice piece and the finish looks great. My only thought is that the bottom or base area looks heavy. I feel that had the base been brought in more it would have given the piece some delicacy and and held my attention.

Dale

Dale,
Thanks for the input. I was trying to tightrope the line between too heavy and so narrow that the piece was either top heavy or tipsy. I suppose trying to please both made it so neither was satisfied! But I like the piece anyway!
Kurt

wow that is one nice piece of wood ,with a great finish .I agree with dbonertz .if the foot came in a half an inch it would take this from being a well turned vase to a stunner .
Cheers

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
KurtB
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata