• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Dyed Ash 5072
B

Dyed Ash 5072

An ash vessel measuring 7 1/2 inches in diameter by 10 1/4 inches tall. Dyed with water soluble aniline dyes.
Nice dye job on this vase and the previous one Bruce. Did you prep the wood with sealer prior to the dye? If not, was there any special prep? I'm asking because it looks like you got a real uniform dye coat across the entire piece. Looks great!

No sealer prior to the dye(water soluble aniline dye). What I usually do is to sand the piece to 320 and then apply a coat of black (or dark) dye inside and out. After drying overnight I sand off most of the black,continuing on to 400,600 and then burnish with a piece of a brown paper bag. This pre-treatment makes sure the grain pattern will stand out after another dye coat is added on top. Then I put on the top coat of colour(sometimes two coats of different colours). After drying overnight, I very gently sand (lathe off)a bit with 600 grit to even out the colour if necessary, and burnish with brown paper again. As a final step and preview of what it will look like after applying the lacquer finish, I wet it by rubbing with mineral spirits on a paper towel. I think this blends the dye a bit more. And if you don't like what you see, you can always get out the bleach and start again.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Bruce Forrest
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename