• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Show us your tool rack/cart

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I found a very nice kitchen cabinet on Craigs list. They are better quality than what I have in my own kitchen... There is a small table on the other side with lots more tools too... The top is something that has had many add ons and reincarnations, different bottoms... It's mostly Koa... Lots of storage. tool_rack.JPG

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Hi Rich. I'm a long time collector of dust, as my shop will show. :)

Everything is hooked to an Oneida DC and my runs are strictly utilitarian and in no way what you would cal aesthetically acceptable. But it works well. I've not been able to get in my shop the past couple of months due to work, except to knock out a couple of quick things for my daughter, and there's dust everywhere from my miter saw. But as for collection at the lathe I've been very pleased with my setup. Captions below each image.

001.jpg

This is the collector at my Jet 1642. It can swing along the 42 inch bed and I can adjust for swing as well. It can get as close as I like.

002.jpg

Closeup of my primitive woodworking. This is nothing more than a blast gate mounted on a piece of pine that is connected to the arm by means of a threaded T-bolt.

003.jpg

I can get very close to any size work, including tiny boxes or finials.

101.JPG

This is the setup for my big lathe. Pretty similar but it has a boom arm that has to extend out a lot farther. And it's mounted on a pivot to swing in an arc across the lathe front to back.

102.jpg

Similar to the other one, it's a blast gate. I think it's important to keep labels on things. And dust. Definitely dust. :-D

103.jpg

So if you look at the wall you can see the pivot dowel that holds up the assembly and allows it to swing in an arc. Also, the tightening arm that sets the tension on the beam.

104.jpg

I forget why I posted this one now. Perhaps to use up bandwidth and server space. I don't know But there you are. My humble dust collection system. Hard to believe it works given all the dust you can see. But it really does and I've been very happy with it.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Hey Bill! No, but I've been super busy. Not a bad thing. I've been in the gulf a lot lately. My choice, just seeing how things are going. I've been drug tested 5 times the past 4 weeks. Too bad they can't do a full blood panel too! ;)

And how are you these days?

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
I'm really hoping so. That's a good time of year and I've been wanting to.

On the other hand, I'm going to be able to go to the Paul Simon farewell concert in Oakland with my dearly beloved at the end of May. That should be great. I know Oakland gets dumped on (in more ways than one), but I've been there and also San Fran and I prefer Oakland. But then I guess I'm a clueless old dude who doesn't get how hip it is. You know, New Orleans being such a backwater and all. :)

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com
Doug,

In the first three pics, the collector above your Jet 1642 has a purple string/cord. Is that attached to a counter weight?

Rich

Good eye Rich. I had a similar setup and the joints slipped till I added sandpaper in the joint, but I think counterweight is a better idea. Will not be going back to that as I use a jointed pipe setup attached to a heavy wheeled cart.lathedustsupport.JPG

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Doug,

In the first three pics, the collector above your Jet 1642 has a purple string/cord. Is that attached to a counter weight?

Rich

Good eye there. I forgot to mention that it is there and essential. I have a couple of screw eyes in the ceiling that redirect the counter weight to an out of the way part of the shop. The other end of the purple cord has a medium viscosity counter balancing polymer colloid media half-used can of old latex attached. I stuck some sand in it to get the weight right and Bob's your uncle. It works great and was dirt cheap if you'll pardon the pun..

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Mine is a hanging design that turns 360. I made if from a wall bracket that was meant to hold a small tv. Just had to buy the lazy susan bearing.

That is a great setup that would never work for my turning style. I like the way it looks and glad it works for you.

I do early roughing with the end of the handle on the top of my thigh. Also the handle end is often on the side of my thigh for pull cuts.
When I sharpen spindle gouges I turn the toolmgripping the very end of the handle.
A hook on the end is going to hurt me.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I stuck some sand in it to get the weight right and Bob's your uncle. It works great and was dirt cheap if you'll pardon the pun..

Thanks for the nitty gritty details, Mark.

I like Don's wind chime inspired solution ... both functional and decorative.

My tool storage is very pedestrian by comparison ... just a couple HF mobile tool chests.

A person could mount a rare earth magnet in the butt of the handle and hang the tool from a steel surface similar to the rack shown above. Plenty of times I need to hunt down a magnet to search through wood shavings for a tool/fastener that falls on the floor. Amazing how strong some of those magnets are these days.

Mike that is actually a good idea that I hadn't considered. I buy several thousand Rare earth magnets a year for my business so I'm really familiar with them. They make them with a counter sunk hole in the center for a screw. They make them as strong as you could possibly want. I use them for a lot of different tasks. I would consider that if the hooks bothered me but so far it hasn't been a problem.

Don,

Just one tool with a rare earth magnet mounted in the handle would give you a tool with reach to sweep through shavings fishing for that item that gets away and hits the floor covered with shavings.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
eec55e23f1237890ce980fcc2965a0c1.jpg

This is an interesting concept I recently saw.......a very big lazy susan!

-----odie-----

Shudder. :eek: That pic brings back bad memories for me.
I had the same arrangement (hooked handles, blades facing down).
I dropped the key to my chuck and bent down to pick it up. Of course when I stood up I found the biggest, sharpest gouge on the rack. I cut a perfect 1/2" x 4" flap of scalp off my head. It's amazing how much head wounds bleed. :eek: It took a trip to the emergency room and over a dozen staples to close the wound. I took the rack down as soon as I came home from the hospital.

A person could mount a rare earth magnet in the butt of the handle and hang the tool from a steel surface similar to the rack shown above. Plenty of times I need to hunt down a magnet to search through wood shavings for a tool/fastener that falls on the floor. Amazing how strong some of those magnets are these days.
It might be that you drag another tool or piece of metal with the magnet, might not be happy with the results.
What I have done is mount magnets and put a slug in the tool handle.
Lee Valley and others sell rare earth magnets with a threaded end that can be screwed into wood or other surface.

There was another thread I posted some pictures in, but since I cleaned up before my back surgery I thought I would post in this thread. I am fortunate to have a large workshop. I am satisfied with my current arrangement. I placed my lathe where I have access all the way around and end for when i move the headstock. My chisels are behind me on the wall of my bathroom. I can reach any tool without having to reach over any sharp end and grab the handle. I utilized as much space as practical with peg board for saws, scales, wrenches, sanders, magnet pickup, and more. My DC is a 3hp re-configured Jet 1900 with a cyclone venting outside. 6" metal wyed with 4" port to each lathe and a Rockler floor sweep with 15' of hose.
IMG_1214.JPG IMG_1218.JPG
I built a ballast box below the lathe that has 280# of sand. Above the sand ballast there are three pull outs that have my centers, tool rest and few other things.
IMG_1223.JPG IMG_1224.JPG

I have a multi drawer cabinet that has my drill bits, hollowing bars, sanding disc, etc. Above that is my vacuum pump and the switch box is magnetic and is put on the top of the headstock when used.
IMG_1225.JPG
I have a homemade counter top bench just to the right that has my mini lathe and sharpening system.
IMG_1222.JPG
I initally had my chucks in the pull outs below the lathe ways, but they were too much weight for the cheap drawer slides. So I just store the on this cart.
IMG_1216.JPG
I happy right now with this arrangement, but always looking to improve.

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com
I like the idea of having drawers below the lathe’s bed, but am asking those who have done it,
  1. Any regrets ?
  2. Does it impede movement ?
  3. What recommendations do you have ?
  4. Did you bevel the top (to get cuttings to fall off) ?
Kind regards,
Rich

There was another thread I posted some pictures in, but since I cleaned up before my back surgery I thought I would post in this thread. I am fortunate to have a large workshop. I am satisfied with my current arrangement. I placed my lathe where I have access all the way around and end for when i move the headstock. My chisels are behind me on the wall of my bathroom. I can reach any tool without having to reach over any sharp end and grab the handle. I utilized as much space as practical with peg board for saws, scales, wrenches, sanders, magnet pickup, and more. My DC is a 3hp re-configured Jet 1900 with a cyclone venting outside. 6" metal wyed with 4" port to each lathe and a Rockler floor sweep with 15' of hose.
View attachment 25723 View attachment 25724
I built a ballast box below the lathe that has 280# of sand. Above the sand ballast there are three pull outs that have my centers, tool rest and few other things.
View attachment 25726 View attachment 25727

I have a multi drawer cabinet that has my drill bits, hollowing bars, sanding disc, etc. Above that is my vacuum pump and the switch box is magnetic and is put on the top of the headstock when used.
View attachment 25729
I have a homemade counter top bench just to the right that has my mini lathe and sharpening system.
View attachment 25730
I initally had my chucks in the pull outs below the lathe ways, but they were too much weight for the cheap drawer slides. So I just store the on this cart.
View attachment 25728
I happy right now with this arrangement, but always looking to improve.

Very nice looking shop William.

I like the idea of having drawers below the lathe’s bed, but am asking those who have done it,
  1. Any regrets ?
Kind regards,
Rich
1. no regrets but not set up that way now. Found that everytime I open a drawer I got sawdust in it. I built two units for my lathes and decided to just stack them on the side of the lathe I use most of the time.
2. Had no problem with movement. Just push the drawer unit back to the leading edge of lathe bed.
3. If I had it to do over (the two sets of drawers are different sizes) I would build smaller cabinets and put them on wheels to make changes easier. Also the top of these units could then be used as a tray or for projects, a sharpening station, a quick reach tool station.
Lathe tool mobile.JPG
4. Tried a slant piece of ply as a slant dust deflector and I found it to be in the way.
After all this I went back to nothing under the lathe and I like it much better than anythign else I tried. With a box under the lathe you have to get a brush to clean it off and tend to stack items on top of the box in the middle of the shavings. Now all I need is a broom and sweep it all up.

1. Any regrets ?
Kind regards,
Rich

1. No regrets, but I didn't do drawers as they would fill with chips. I have shelves (flat and open both ends) and all the tools are captured. Chips will get on them, but easily brushed off.
2. No
3. I am satisfied with my arrangement. At first I intended to put my chucks in these pull outs, but they were too heavy for my cheap slides.
4. No i did not bevel the top. Looking at my picture there is a thin white plastic sheet setting on top of the pull out shelves that i just slid out and empty in the garbage can.

292.JPG

My previous post is a photo, I uploaded it before writing as I didn't realize that I couldn't write after uploading. Here is the text.

(I merged them together. I hope that is OK with you. BTW, you can edit your posts ... the edit button which is at the bottom of your post will allow you to add or remove text and images and other attachments. I need to create some tutorials. You should be able to add text after uploading an image.
Bill Boehme)

My tool table is an old TV table from my previous apartment, it is on wheels and supported on a center post. A close look at my avatar will show the plastic drawer cabinet that has all my center points and chuck jaws and cutter bars and such. My grinding station is behind me in the avatar. A careful look at the right side of the main picture will show the head of my bed (and a small bookshelf) - and on the other side you can barely make out the drill press and the edge of the 12" bandsaw. The room is 12' x 15' and the walls you don't see have my main bookshelves and my writing desk. I think this may be one of the better uses of space in our wood turning community.

Best, Jon

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
You don't have all the buttons that I have, but I'm sure that you have an edit button ... at least you should have it. Here is my best effort at drawing with my finger on an iPad. Crude, but it works ... sort of.

image.jpeg

Website
www.revolvingarts.ca
D
  1. Any regrets ?
Kind regards,
Rich

None!
Ok, you need to bend over. But otherwise it’s great
Mine is an old metal drawer set used to hold architectural plans and maps. Heavy gauge steel, large, wide, shallow drawers, that hold a lot of weight. It’s 48” wide, very deep.

Everything is going digital, so these are cheap now. Mine was free.

I lined the drawers with 1/4” ply and added wood trim to create sections to meet my needs.

I use whatever scraps are lying around in the shop for tool racks and hang them from French cleats. The racks themselves are pretty simple. Make a plywood back and a bottom form an "L" shape. To actually hold the chisels drill a series of holes in another board, rip and tack on to the "L" shape, one at the top and the other at the bottom. It more or less works for me. I just need to figure out a way to prevent "tool creep." You know when all the tools on the rack end up on the lathe bed and you can't move the tail stock because all the tools are in the way.

20181028_123628.jpg 20181028_123646.jpg

I have three lathes set up in my shop. Each for different operations. I really dislike switching from spur to chuck and to face plates. So I have three 12 inch lathes set up for each type of operation. I got a 4 drawer rolling tool cart at Harbor freight. the kind with the top lid that swings up. I bolted two magnetic tool holder strips from HF about 5 inches apart to the underside of the lid and use that to hold my tools. in vertical position and have the cart just to my right.so the tools are in easy reach. I have yet to notice any problem with the tools being magnetized. I use those magnetic parts cups from HF to hold the live center "centers" And glued a $5 dollar 4 in diameter magnet from HF to the base of a $6.00 dollar 40 lumen LED desk light from Walmart. I can stick the light pretty much anywhere on the lathe and it stays put.. I also use a magnetic tool strip to hold the dividers, calipers, ruler, scissors and small coping saw

Some of you spent a lot of time making your tool racks. I don't like letting tools point downward, just in case I miss the holder and they hit the floor. I got the magnetic strips for a special a couple years ago for 99 cents each. I bought a couple dozen. I see some of you have that much invested just in pvc.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I don't like letting tools point downward, just in case I miss the holder and they hit the floor.

Also, I have a bad habit of trying to "catch" dropped things with my foot. I think it might be because I had an uncle who had a prehensile tail and lived in trees. :D

Back