• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What’s on your lathe?

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Did the foot on a Brown Mallee burl and Big Leaf Maple burl bowls last evening......this photo is just after completing the foot, and just prior to adding some D.O.

-o-
20240411_210544.1.jpg

Website
jpseyfried.com
It looks like this Cherry crotch NE bowl might survive. I left the faceplate on, bound the base with safety wire, and as Leo suggested, I put in a couple of staples across the bark inclusion. I used romex staples because that's what I had.

necherry950.jpg

I used epoxy and sawdust to fill the bark inclusion and knot voids.

cherry970.jpg

I used koa pewa to hide the staple holes. Now hopefully I can get the back and foot finished without knocking the bark off.

cherryB016.jpg

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
Turning pecan for the first time. Wow, this stuff is hard. Not the most fun I’ve had at the lathe. Was going to make a hollow form, but I might just drill a hole, drop in a test tube, and make it a stem vase.View attachment 62535
I believe it was Clay Foster that referred to the dry wood as 'Pecan-crete'! 😀 Never had the 'pleasure' of turning the stuff.

It looks like this Cherry crotch NE bowl might survive. I left the faceplate on, bound the base with safety wire, and as Leo suggested, I put in a couple of staples across the bark inclusion. I used romex staples because that's what I had.

View attachment 62549

I used epoxy and sawdust to fill the bark inclusion and knot voids.

View attachment 62550

I used koa pewa to hide the staple holes. Now hopefully I can get the back and foot finished without knocking the bark off.

View attachment 62551
WOW Jim, that's even more than what I would dare to keep with the staples, but yes it always works for me, as for the staples, I do make them myself from stiff SS wire and large enough that there is enough wood for the staple to hold it without splitting that out.

Good job though, 1thumb.gif

I believe it was Clay Foster that referred to the dry wood as 'Pecan-crete'! 😀 Never had the 'pleasure' of turning the stuff.
I think anything in that related pecan/hickory/nutwood family is like "pecan-crete" when fully dry. I've got a few now-dry hickory rough-turns in my in-progress stack that I've been ignoring for a long time for that reason. Lord give me strength, literally.

odie

TOTW Team
@James Seyfried

Second turned this spalted Hackberry bowl last evening. After bringing to round subsequent to the seasoning period, I applied a heavy coat of DO eleven days ago, so it had plenty of time to cure and harden. I was surprised how much DO it soaked up.....probably about 1/4th of a pint can of DO! Anyway, it did have to soak deep enough to remain on the surface after the second turn......and, apparently it did. It turned surprising well, with a minimum of tearout on this very soft spalting. It also sanded extremely well, although the DO caused it to clog up sandpaper badly. I suppose that's a good use of sandpaper, in order to get a very spalted and soft surface to respond well, and ultimately, successfully.

It remains to be seen yet, just how well this surface will respond to the Beall buffing process...... ?????

-o-
20240412_233608.jpg 20240412_233738.jpg

Last edited:
@James Seyfried

Second turned this spalted Hackberry bowl last evening. After bringing to round subsequent to the seasoning period, I applied a heavy coat of DO eleven days ago, so it had plenty of time to cure and harden. I was surprised how much DO it soaked up.....probably about 1/4th of a pint can of DO! Anyway, it did have to soak deep enough to remain on the surface after the second turn......and, apparently it did. It turned surprising well, with a minimum of tearout on this very soft spalting. It also sanded extremely well, although the DO caused it to clog up sandpaper badly. I suppose that's a good use of sandpaper, in order to get a very spalted and soft surface to respond well, and ultimately, successfully.

It remains to be seen yet, just how well this surface will respond to the Beall buffing process...... ?????

-o-
View attachment 62591 View attachment 62592
really pretty. Looking forward to seeing final piece.

Website
jpseyfried.com
It also sanded extremely well, although the DO caused it to clog up sandpaper badly. I suppose that's a good use of sandpaper, in order to get a very spalted and soft surface to respond well, and ultimately, successfully.

I think it will buff out well too, that has been my experience anyway.

I also soak DO into natural edge bowls, I think it does a good job of firming up the bark.

odie

TOTW Team
really pretty. Looking forward to seeing final piece.

It's going to be awhile, Alan.....since I have about a dozen other bowls that I'll have to work on before I get back to it. I'll try to remember to put this one back in the "what's on your lathe" thread when I do..... :)

-o-

Website
jpseyfried.com
at what point do you do this? Before second turning? Do you also stabilize w thin CA?

On the ones that I second turn, I'll put it on the outside edge after turning and sanding, with a glue brush. Then the inside after turning and sanding. I have previously used CA but don't use both. With CA I'm concerned that I'll stain the wood with it. But most of the natural edge bowl that I make I turn once. On those I put the DO on after finish sanding.

The requested update! The top of the whatchamacallit shows very little distortion, the bottom with the tenon does not show any checks, the walls and the rim do not have any checks and per the drying schedule pictured (The piece was not put back in the bag on 4/5/2024) the turning has lost almost 100 grams. So who says you have to get rid of the pith?
View attachment 62386View attachment 62387
The final update: I finished the Box/Container today 4/13/2024. The drying schedule was updated to 282.4G on 4/9/2024 and today before finishing it read 283.5G so it looks like spring has reached the north woods.
24019Box4.jpg 24019Box7.jpg
Removed the tenon almost, made the recess and did a little sanding... Prepared the lid for the handle (tapered hole in the center.
24019Box9.jpg24019Box10.jpg
Starting to finish the top of the lid. The completed Whatchamacallit.

Website
jpseyfried.com
WOW Jim, that's even more than what I would dare to keep with the staples, but yes it always works for me, as for the staples, I do make them myself from stiff SS wire and large enough that there is enough wood for the staple to hold it without splitting that out.

Good job though, View attachment 62587

That a good tip Leo. I need to get some stiff SS wire so I can make specific size staples, the don't stain the wood.
I think for this one the faceplate did a lot of the heavy lifting keeping the bowl together. It did rust up the faceplate but it will still work fine.

James, that is one beautiful piece of cherry. Great job!

Thanks Mark! One of my sayings is, pretty wood makes a turner look good! :)

Getting close now, just need to find the scratches I missed and buff it.

pewa47.jpg

odie

TOTW Team
Beautiful as always, Odie! Don't you just love the fine neon flour dust padauk makes?

Ha,ha......My son was here today, and said my car (which is on the other side of my garage/shop) looked like a coating of "Mars dust" had landed on it! :)

@James Seyfried

-o-
View attachment 62591 View attachment 62592
Nice, never seen Hackberry take on that much color.

Working on a couple pieces with the JaHo ornamental jig. Still trying to get the kinks out. Learned everything has to be rock solid to work well and maybe sharpen bit more often. The Bradford Pear cut well but in Box Elder got tear out. IMG_8779.jpegIMG_8781.jpeg

First time working with Sassafras. Unfortunately, my blocks were bone dry so I didn’t get to experience the apparently wonderful smell when green-turned. Still, it turns nicely and sands well. Here is a piece after some preliminary sanding at 150.

View attachment 62660

Coincidentally, I turned a small bowl out of sassafras this weekend. It's only about 4". I turned both ERC and sassafras over the weekend. The garage smelled great.

IMG_20240416_082325.jpg

odie

TOTW Team
That red is amazing! It will fade though, right?
Yes, unfortunately it will. It's sunlight that causes the change, so the location will be important to preserving the color for as long as possible.

-o-

Ogee not another red cedar bowl😁! Of the 160+ bowls I have drying the cedar is the driest and I only had time this evening to turn a small 12” cedar. Tried going for a Ogee, and put the first coat of oil on it.

Attachments

• IMG_0896.jpeg
    IMG_0896.jpeg
    365 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0895.jpeg
    IMG_0895.jpeg
    464.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0897.jpeg
    IMG_0897.jpeg
    486.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0898.jpeg
    IMG_0898.jpeg
    377 KB · Views: 23

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Tried turning a crotch piece but the bark went too far into the bottom.
Glad you walked away from that one. Bark inclusions and ring shakes are dangerous. Cut the wood holding the piece together and you set pieces flying.

When I demo NE Bowls from a crotch I tell folks to flat out avoid the bark inclusion pieces. They are unsafe and they won’t have the feather grain that make crotch bowls pop.

You might be interested in the slides I use.

odie

TOTW Team
This is an absolute perfect burl.....no flaws.....none!.....a rarity among burls! :)

I didn't get any further than bringing it to round and suggesting a final shape last night......but, am anxious to see how this one will turn out.....fingers crossed!!!!

Australian Yellow Box burl.

-o-

20240417_235454.jpg 20240417_235539.jpg

Back