• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What’s on your lathe?

Website
discord.gg
I brought a center cut (pith) from a black cherry crotch into the shed a few weeks ago to maybe cut a few spindle blanks out of. On a whim, I just threw it up on the lathe. Not a smooth a curve as I would like on the inside as it was starting to move on me. I may go back and try and minimize a couple of the bumps I'm feeling. 21" at the largest point. Lots more sanding to do for sure.

Attachments

• 20240330_213925.jpg
    20240330_213925.jpg
    710.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 20240330_213950.jpg
    20240330_213950.jpg
    829.2 KB · Views: 59
Well, having survived to Spring Break, I'm ready to finish some of the turns I've started over the winter. Here's a Chinese Elm "Emerging" Bowl, and a larger Chinese Elm live edge with uneven bark. That last one is reserved for my arborist neighbor who supplies most of my local wood. I'm having to learn some tricks to keeping the bark on with CA, coffee grounds and other sorcery. I discovered on another recent one that if I have to sand the bark to keep it even with the walls, I can restore roughly the right color with a dark mahogany stain, and then finish over it. I green-turned that ambrosia maple bowl yesterday; I always enjoy turning wet wood!

Chinese Elm Live Edge Emerging Bowl.jpgChinese Elm Live Edge Uneven Bark Bowl.jpg
Ambrosia Maple Green Turn.jpg

Oh, and here's a big ash bowl I'm calling "farmhouse style." It's done-I'm just taking advantage of our warm, sunny, dry weekend with a nice breeze to buff in a couple more coats of Tried and True Danish Oil-I really love this stuff when marketing as food-safe. The figuring on this one is stunning, though I'm irritated at myself that I got my brand a bit off-center.😣

Anyway, Happy Easter everyone!Ash Large Farmhouse Style Bowl Bottom.jpg

That acacia has some really pretty grain and colors.
Brian, that is a very cool effect on the acacia.
Thanks. I’ve subsequently picked up acacia, birch and other hardwood butcher block cut offs from two guys locally who make and install butcher block countertops for the equivalent of about $4 per bowl, so now I have “bowl blanks” - disks ranging from 7” to 15” - for about 40 more of this type of bowl. I cut them out Saturday night. Here’s 30 “bowl blanks” on a tool stand. Not often you can get that many “bowl blanks” in such a small space lol!
IMG_9789.jpeg

Last edited:
IMG_0674.jpgIMG_0675.jpgIMG_0676.jpg
This is an experiment to see if I can make a lidded vessel from a green northern red oak as a once turned piece with the pith. There are no knots or wild grain to cause distortion and it shouldn't go oval because the walls follow the annual rings making the majority of the shrinkage is tangential as you can see in the photo. The wall is 1/4" thick green with a maximum diameter of 6" and a height of 11". The tenon is 2" diameter with the pith almost on center. Note: There was a current thread about the use of ROS on turnings and that method was used on this piece however I first used burred shear scrapers to remove tool marks and blend in the high and low spots.

View attachment 62167View attachment 62168View attachment 62169
This is an experiment to see if I can make a lidded vessel from a green northern red oak as a once turned piece with the pith. There are no knots or wild grain to cause distortion and it shouldn't go oval because the walls follow the annual rings making the majority of the shrinkage is tangential as you can see in the photo. The wall is 1/4" thick green with a maximum diameter of 6" and a height of 11". The tenon is 2" diameter with the pith almost on center. Note: There was a current thread about the use of ROS on turnings and that method was used on this piece however I first used burred shear scrapers to remove tool marks and blend in the high and low spots.
Don, Please keep us informed as you proceed through this experiment.

Forgot one. Walnut, 10". This bowl gave me fits at every turn (pun intended). It's hardly worth posting. First, I hate the shape. Second, I got a lot of contamination in the sapwood. Probably it wasn't quite dry enough when I sanded. Third, it started cracking about an hour after I took it off the lathe. But each bowl is a lesson so it's all good.

IMG_20240401_084210.jpgIMG_20240401_084235.jpgIMG_20240401_084242.jpg

The Australian brown Mallee burl was finished last night, other than it's still on the waste block waiting to have the foot done. The foot will be done in about 2 weeks time. The Danish oil has just been applied in these two photos......I came in from the shop past 1am last night.....which is pretty much normal for me! :)

The third photo is of my current stash being seasoned and waste blocks applied.....

View attachment 50165 View attachment 50166 View attachment 50167

-----odie-----
Love the storage! I'm actually building a rack out of 2x4s for the south wall of my shop right now, or was 10 minutes ago.

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Maple burl. Soft, soft, soft—even 240 grit changed shape so I had to back up.
Alan, I love that thick and round bowl. Must feel great in the hands. Ever time I see a bowl like this, I'm inspired to make one. Still haven't, but some day. I'm just waiting on the right piece of wood.

Oops, I think I lied. I was convinced I had cut this off an elm tree. Now I think it's more likely mulberry.
Kent I did tell you that it was no Elm wood, and thought it was Mulberry, I don't know where that post went to though.

The way I have always ID wood is by the grain first, color and smell also, so that's how I get to the ID of the wood.

That wood will get a nicer darker color. I've always loved turning Mulberry, but find it a difficult wood to dry.

Here is one I finish turned about a mont ago.

Mulberry vessel.jpg

Didn’t turn a thing today… yet!
Mounted a chunk of apple and then took apart the Stubby S750 I have offered for sale and fixed the reverse switch. Then I assembled the miscellaneous parts, tools, vacuum pump, vacuum chuck in one place, ready for one of the four interested parties to pick up.

Attachments

• IMG_0544.jpeg
    IMG_0544.jpeg
    352.5 KB · Views: 15
Back