• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What’s on your lathe?

Walnut shaving bowl after the 1st coat of epoxy. Not sure how even it is until it's cured enough to touch. As I need it 100% waterproof, I may do another coat. It feels strange to finish walnut in anything other than my beloved TruOil.
Walnut Shaving Bowl 1st Epoxy Coat.jpg
This one will be part of a set with a matching straight razor and brush. I'm thinking I might do some more of these sets, we'll see.

I sure hope you submit some pictures of the finished product. I believe it will be spectacular!
Be safe and stay well.
Barry W. Larson
Calgary, Alberta, Canada eh!
Finished with CA glue and buffed with abrasive paste

Attachments

• IMG_3413.jpeg
    IMG_3413.jpeg
    469.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3415.jpeg
    IMG_3415.jpeg
    439.5 KB · Views: 31

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Finished the footings of Padauk and Big Leaf Maple burl bowls last night. The foot is done using Oneway Jumbo jaws and the DO is applied off the lathe.

-o-

IMG_1838.JPG

Grabbed another chunk of rotten birch and tried to make something out of it. I love the colors in it though I'm sure the dust would probably kill me if I breathed to much in. Finished with tried and true wood finish.
Wife says this one is hers again! Lol!
My wife is my best customer! She keeps claiming my work. :D

Michael, when do you find time to sleep?... your output, not to mention your ideas are most impressive. Your redbud bowl project is very well executed. I love the contrast between the sapwood and heartwood. Well done!
Be safe and stay well.
Barry W. Larson

Finished with the Redbud burl bowls. Nearing the end of this project. Just oiled with hempseed oil. Here’s a shot of the 9 “nested” bowls. Largest one is 5.25”d and the smallest one is 1.25”d. Each bowl is around 1/16” wall thickness (bottoms are a bit thicker).
View attachment 52760
You sir, are a rock star!
Concept and execution.. A+

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Michael, when do you find time to sleep?... your output, not to mention your ideas are most impressive.
Thanks Barry! I’ll sleep when I’m dead. Or bored. Or something like that. Turning is so enjoyable, it’s a fair compromise :p Coming up on the two week mark with this project. I think I’m just going to rough out a bunch of green bowls for a bit after!

You sir, are a rock star!
Ayyy Gary, thanks a lot! I’m gonna tell my wife she’s married to a rock star :cool:

Thanks Barry! I’ll sleep when I’m dead. Or bored. Or something like that. Turning is so enjoyable, it’s a fair compromise :p Coming up on the two week mark with this project. I think I’m just going to rough out a bunch of green bowls for a bit after!

Ayyy Gary, thanks a lot! I’m gonna tell my wife she’s married to a rock star :cool:
Turn while you're alive, sleep when you're dead.... Words of wisdom from another rock star - Jon Bon Jovi (with a very minor edit)!
Be safe and stay well.
Barry

Website
www.ovwg.org
Michael, when do you find time to sleep?... your output, not to mention your ideas are most impressive. Your redbud bowl project is very well executed. I love the contrast between the sapwood and heartwood. Well done!
Be safe and stay well.
Barry W. Larson
Yes I was wondering! You liked one of my post around midnight once and I was asleep:D

That chestnut piece I was working on had a bad oops moment. I cut through to the recess, then when I tried to smooth the remaining profile thinking of a way to save it the blank split in two. Plan B, took it to the band saw and took out the center cutting to the edge of the recess on both pieces. I tried to sand the cuts flat but it wasnt having any of that so I turned to the jointer and successfully flattened the surfaces good enough to glue. Clamping was a real bear, then I had to do quite a bit of 80 grit shaping on the inside because of the unfinished profile inside the bowl.
IMG_3018.jpegIMG_3019.jpeg

I got the platter finish turned and brought it inside as it was getting too cold in the shop, it was just 14 degrees (57F) and going down as they call for minus one (30F) tonight brrrrr.

No PTO oil finish on it yet, but other than that it is done.

I almost set the buttons too far out, it had just enough pressure to hold it though.

Black Willow bottom done.jpg

Black Willow plaatter 21%22.jpg

Last edited:
When you have 18 white oak blanks and 16 are turned so far with the possible chance of none of them surviving I kind of get a "what the #$%" attitude.

Lots of design opportunities here and I left it extra tall to turn off when dry if it survives.

Any bets as to if it will survive the next 8-10-12 months to have something to turn?? I coated the whole thing with sealer and away it will go not be seen like the rest of them.

Attachments

• IMG_20230524_205908533.jpg
    IMG_20230524_205908533.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 31

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Ended up turning 4 more little Redbud burl bowls for the project. I also turned and carved this small piece of Gaboon Ebony. Carving is not my forte, but I’m trying to get better. This little ebony carving is the last piece of the project. Just have to do some finishing, gluing, and assembling, and I can move onto something else. Whew!

30180005-4F21-42DF-AECE-06DC2EE88FC3.jpeg
15FCB035-B2B4-4559-8789-75FD6DAFA238.jpeg

Website
www.ovwg.org
Ended up turning 4 more little Redbud burl bowls for the project. I also turned and carved this small piece of Gaboon Ebony. Carving is not my forte, but I’m trying to get better. This little ebony carving is the last piece of the project. Just have to do some finishing, gluing, and assembling, and I can move onto something else. Whew!

View attachment 52814
View attachment 52816
What carver do you use? I have been looking to get one for awhile.

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
What carver do you use? I have been looking to get one for awhile.
I have a Dremel 3000 with the flex shaft attachment. Works pretty well for most things. Various sizes of ball burrs and round nose burrs are my go to bits. I’d like to have something with a bit more speed, but that’s not too big of an issue at this point.

I also usually use some hand tools as well. I’ve found that a set of rifflers/needle files are pretty indispensable for fine details.

Last edited:
Website
www.ovwg.org
I have a Dremel 3000 with the flex shaft attachment. Works pretty well for most things. Various sizes of ball burrs and round nose burrs are my go to bits. I’d like to have something with a bit more speed, but that’s not too big of an issue at this point.

I also usually use some hand tools as well. I’ve found that a set of rifflers/needle files are pretty indispensable for fine details.
Great! Thanks

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
it if it survives drying
Definitely monitor this one as it dries. Tight curves are the most difficult to keep from cracking. If you see it starting to crack, they’ll begin on the exterior. In that case, just go ahead and turn it to final thickness. It will warp a bit, but that’s okay. If nothing else, better than losing it.

If nothing else, better than losing it.

Mother nature is always making more trees and blowing some down.
Which brings us to the old philosophical question of "If a tree falls in the woods.. and no wood turner is around, will it ever get made into bowls?" NO WAIT.. it's "does it make a noise". Never Mind.... (anybody figured out my sense of humor yet? or maybe it's just called a different name? might start with an A!) LOL

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Big ole honking Black Oak bowl in the works. This is an interesting situation. I’m making a special trade with someone. They requested a cylindrical bowl 12-14” diameter, and 8” tall. Roughing it out now. Turned the exterior to a bit larger than 15” diameter, and around 10” tall, not including the tenon and shoulder. The should *hopefully* put me at the size I need when it’s finish turned. Will likely boil it to help mitigate cracking and to speed up the drying process. Need to find a large pot. Should be an interesting drying process. I fully expect to use some pewa patches, considering I’m leaving the pith. How it started, and how it’s going:
D7F36AA0-93EE-484D-9FFA-79E2BE402939.jpeg
796967FC-F5A9-4F4E-B6A2-F800E6C3F124.jpeg

Last edited:
Big ole honking Black Oak bowl in the works. This is an interesting situation. I’m making a special trade with someone. They requested a cylindrical bowl 12-14” diameter, and 8” tall. Roughing it out now. Will likely boil it to help mitigate cracking. Should be interesting. How it started, and how it’s going:
View attachment 52841
View attachment 52842
What are you getting out of the trade??? Inquiring minds want to know!

Back