• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What’s on your lathe?

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
I was going to say, get rid of the pith, but see you decided to keep it, may I ask Why ??
Valid question. The only log I had big enough was a 27” diameter oak. It was a crotch section, and right in the middle was a large bark inclusion. The only blank I could get big enough was through one of the piths. I also wanted to keep mostly heartwood as the sapwood has already started to spalt in an unpleasant way. Not completely ideal, but I think I will be able to do a decent job at patching it. Hopefully the final product will be alright. In the end, the guy I’m trading with intends to paint this bowl. So the patchwork should be okay.

Last edited:

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Quilted Maple second turned last evening.

Quilted Maple can be some of the most aggravating wood to get a decent tearout free cut... *But, it can be done, depending on how well the turner can connect to his "spiritual" resources! :)

*(That's a joke for those who have been following along....but, every good joke has an element of truth! :))

-o-

IMG_1843.JPG IMG_1844.JPG

Operation is a go. Set up enfilade positions. Flankers ahead on my signal. Watch that crossfire. Prepare to turn spindle blank...

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Many hours of someone’s life! Talk about valuable; most of us are more aware of the value of an hour at our age, lol!!
That is the truth! The older I get, the faster time passes by. And the more I value it—even more so now that I have a couple of kids. It’s a whirlwind!

Last edited:

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
@Sam Fleisher ha! I think your reply got deleted. I’m usually in the shop when the kids are at daycare or when everyone is asleep. Like @odie I usually have late nights. Last night I didn’t come inside until around 2am. Whew!

odie

TOTW Team
@Sam Fleisher ha! I think your reply got deleted. I’m usually in the shop when the kids are at daycare or when everyone is asleep. Like @odie I usually have late nights. Last night I didn’t come inside until around 2am. Whew!

My boys are both grown and on their own now, but the reason I stay up so late, is because of the prostate problems I've had for the past 15, or so years. I just can't sleep more than two or three hours at a time, and I'm wide awake again. Several years ago, I had laser surgery to relieve the symptoms, but that didn't solve the lack of sleep problems I've had.....this might be a forever thing for me! Maybe this comes with age! :(

Last night when I posted here, it was after sleeping for a couple hours....then I went back to bed and slept some more....rinse and repeat after that!

I'm kind of like the 7th dwarf...."Sleepy".....cuz I'm continually falling asleep at any time of the day! :) ....I've even fallen asleep on that little stool out in the shop, for heaven's sake! :)

-o-

Last edited:
Michael, you're welcome. And Monty, they're dirt simple to turn, really. Brad has suggested drilling width and depth for the inset for different sized brush knots right there on the ordering page. I like 24mm the best, and get the SHD (super-high density) knots for my fancier brushes. I set the knots with 5-minute epoxy, though silicone glue works too. You don't want to set the knot too deep, or the brush will be too stiff. If you do drill too deep with your forstner bit, you can raise the knot back up with a coin or two under it. I just set the knot on this last one with a couple of nickels epoxied under it to get the right loft. Please show us your work if you go down this rabbit hole!

Operation is a go. Set up enfilade positions. Flankers ahead on my signal. Watch that crossfire. Prepare to turn spindle blank...

Sapele shaving brush. Finished with Acks and DO. 30mm Silver Tip Badger knot. Largest brush in the cabinet has been a 28mm Kent. This one is about 25% larger.

IMGP0219.jpeg

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
A leader is the top main shoot of a tree or plant ,the main growth shoot, here in the UK what would you guys call the uppermost part of a tree?
Oh, duh—brain fart moment on my part! My mind was on spinning tops, and I was thinking it was some sort of specific piece you were making. We call the central branch the leader as well. That monkey puzzle sure is pretty:

Quilted Maple can be some of the most aggravating wood to get a decent tearout free cut... *But, it can be done, depending on how well the turner can connect to his "spiritual" resources! :)

*(That's a joke for those who have been following along....but, every good joke has an element of truth! :))

-o-

View attachment 52851 View attachment 52852
@odie: Do you have an alter in which you burn some of those perfectly formed exotic shavings as an offering to the turning spirits?
I have this vision of you in your Gi sitting in your stool in a trance preparing your mind for the difficult task ahead.

odie

TOTW Team
@odie: Do you have an alter in which you burn some of those perfectly formed exotic shavings as an offering to the turning spirits?
I have this vision of you in your Gi sitting in your stool in a trance preparing your mind for the difficult task ahead.
Timothy....Ha,ha.....I've tried a lot of dumb things trying to get that ever illusive perfect cut....and, 99% of those dumb ideas never pan out......but, it's well worth the effort to give it the best try to find out if this time will be the 1%-er payoff!

You make me wonder if you have a hidden camera in my shop that I don't know about! :)

-o-

Timothy....Ha,ha.....I've tried a lot of dumb things trying to get that ever illusive perfect cut....and, 99% of those dumb ideas never pan out......but, it's well worth the effort to give it the best try to find out if this time will be the 1%-er payoff!

You make me wonder if you have a hidden camera in my shop that I don't know about! :)

-o-
There's an idea! instead of a cam to watch someone walk around half naked put a camera in so we can watch you work. (free of course and hopefully you don't walk around half naked)

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
I've even fallen asleep on that little stool out in the shop, for heaven's sake! :)
Ah, sorry to hear that. I’m sure it’s an “it is what is is” situation. Hey—whatever the reason, we’re still late night buddies! It’s a bit motivating when I’m working in the shop late knowing others are as well. Keeps the fire stoked!

odie

TOTW Team
Ah, sorry to hear that. I’m sure it’s an “it is what is is” situation. Hey—whatever the reason, we’re still late night buddies! It’s a bit motivating when I’m working in the shop late knowing others are as well. Keeps the fire stoked!
Well, Michael.....here I am burning the midnight oil right along with you! I need to get back to sleep again soon, as my son and I have plans for this afternoon.....

I must say that since you became a member of the AAW forums, you've been a great inspiration for the others here. You have a great imagination, and the will to make it happen for you on your lathe. Thanks for sharing your woodturning journey with the rest of us here. :)

-o-

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Thanks a lot Odie, that’s really kind! Turning itself is such an enjoyable thing for so many reasons. Having a community like this forum to share and interact with just makes it even more satisfying. :)

Last edited:

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
@Mike Novak I boiled the bowl last night for around 3 hours. It took a while to find a pot big enough. Ultimately, I bought a 60qt aluminum pot and burner setup from Lowe's. The pot itself has an interior diameter of 16.75" and is just over 15" tall. It was kind of expensive, but my wife and I like seafood boils, and our other setup was getting a bit dated. (or is this just an excuse to buy something new?? hmm). I didn't weigh the bowl down, as it stayed at the water surface or below for most of the process (owing to it's very wet/green nature). I almost made the mistake of weighing the bowl down with a dumbell--after some thought I decided against this, as the dumbell is painted cast iron, and my bowl would have sure come out of the ater stained black. After boiling, I left the bowl in the water overnight so it could cool down slowly. It's drying right now--in an hour or so, I plan to coat the entire bowl in Anchorseal and then place in a cardboard box with some shavings. Prior to boiling, the roughout weighed 25.2 pounds. I'm curious what it'll weigh after it reaches equilibrium. Here are a couple photos pre- and post-boiling.
IMG_5059.JPG
IMG_5061.JPG

Here is a relevant thread I found a while ago that was helpful:

Last edited:
I just can't sleep more than two or three hours at a time
I’m in a similar boat Odie. After two laser procedures (separated by a few years), I’m still up a few times a night. I won’t go into details, as this after all, a turning site, but suffice to say I often wish my shop, in a detached garage, had plumbing. One of these days I’ll have to address that.

-o-

View attachment 52851 View attachment 52852

Odie, that wood looks familiar...

Qld Maple - 12in.JPG
That piece of mine ended up somewhere on your side of the ditch. It almost has as much chatoyance as our blackwood (Acacia melanoxylon), which has measured as having the most chatoyance of any they have tested.

Last edited:

odie

TOTW Team
Did the footings of two bowls last evening. Maple burl and Claro Walnut burl. Photo taken after finishing the feet, but prior to applying DO...

(Is it proper to call them "feet", or is it more appropriate to use the term "footings"? I believe for a single bowl, the term "foot" would be the more appropriate terminology.)

-o-
IMG_1845.JPG

Last edited:
Did the footings of two bowls last evening. Maple burl and Claro Walnut burl. Photo taken after finishing the feet, but prior to applying DO...

(Is it proper to call them "feet", or is it more appropriate to use the term "footings"? I believe for a single bowl, the term "foot" would be best terminology.)

-o-
View attachment 52894
I'm not sure how important the terminology is but at least you didn't call them feetsies. :)

odie

TOTW Team
I'm not sure how important the terminology is

Speaking of "appropriate terminology", what about "stabilized" vs "equilibrium"?

I'm told that equilibrium is more appropriate, because the MC may change if the wood travels from one climate to another......but, doesn't the word stabilize actually mean exactly the same thing? I think it does...

-o-

Speaking of "appropriate terminology", what about "stabilized" vs "equilibrium"?

I'm told that equilibrium is more appropriate, because the MC may change if the wood travels from one climate to another......but, doesn't the word stabilize actually mean exactly the same thing? I think it does...

-o-
In this context, equilibrium seem more appropriate. Stabilized kind of leads down the Cactus Juice trail.

odie

TOTW Team
In this context, equilibrium seem more appropriate. Stabilized kind of leads down the Cactus Juice trail.

Well, I think we're in disagreement, Monty......:)

-o-

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
Dictionary on my laptop says they're slightly different:

equilibrium - noun - a state in which opposing forces or influences are balanced

stabilize - verb - make or become unlikely to change, fail, or decline
(so as a noun, would be something like made unlikely to change)

One act of "stabilizing" might be something like cactus juice, but you might also call the way you dry wood stabilizing. I usually stabilize in paper bags with shavings. My end goal is equilibrium. But the difference (as I see it) is that something that is stabilized is "unlikely to change", where equilibrium can be a more transient state (that is, what's in equilibrium today might not be tomorrow).

But if we're talking in the shop go ahead and use either word and I'll understand what you mean.

equilibrium - noun - a state in which opposing forces or influences are balanced

One act of "stabilizing" might be something like cactus juice, but you might also call the way you dry wood stabilizing. I usually stabilize in paper bags with shavings. My end goal is equilibrium. But the difference (as I see it) is that something that is stabilized is "unlikely to change", where equilibrium can be a more transient state (that is, what's in equilibrium today might not be tomorrow).

But if we're talking in the shop go ahead and use either word and I'll understand what you mean.

Do you know the term enabling?

odie

TOTW Team

Howdy Dave......

Assuming a previously "stabilized" piece of wood changes it's MC as it's moved to another location....is it not also stabilized in the new location?

-o-

Back