• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What’s on your lathe?

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
The spiked Maple burl bowl is finished, except for the bottom which will be easily sanded flat all the way across. For the vertical 90° side walls, I broke out my Grex random orbit sander. I haven't used the Grex in a few years, because I'm now doing all my random orbit sanding completely by hand.

The photo showing the big void is a bit blurry (holding phone by hand!), but shows the reason for the location of the bowl interior.

I have two of these spiked burl blanks, but the other one will be stored until after the final destination of this one is determined.

-o-

20240326_011724.jpg 20240326_011749.jpg

Nothing on the lathe for me recently. I have spent the last couple days ripping my shop apart. I'm looking for a bag of cutters I had in my hand! I said to myself "I should put this somewhere safe so I don't lose it". Ha!
That will teach me to clean up and organize! I knew right where it was when things were a mess!
Glad to know that I am not the only one who does this....

robo hippy

Website
www.lakeeriewoodturner.com
Just a little project coming off the lathe recently.
Neighbor cabbaged some fresh-cut “Tree of Heaven” wood from a friend and brought me over some. Beautiful open grain like ash but this piece was very plain so perfect opportunity to practice embellishing with JoSonja iridescent paints!
5 1/2” x 3 1/2” final dimension potpourri bowl.

Attachments

• IMG_8489.jpeg
    IMG_8489.jpeg
    362 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_8491.jpeg
    IMG_8491.jpeg
    423.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_8493.jpeg
    IMG_8493.jpeg
    350.3 KB · Views: 43

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Tree of Heaven” wood from a friend and brought me over some.
Curious - “tree of heaven” is Ailanthus, the tree that grows out of every northeast city sidewalk crack.
Your bottom inscription is poplar a different tree with somewhat similar wood.
:). I might write poplar because I can spell Ailanthus :) Why did you?

Anyway colors look terrific!

Website
www.lakeeriewoodturner.com
Curious - “tree of heaven” is Ailanthus, the tree that grows out of every northeast city sidewalk crack.
Your bottom inscription is poplar a different tree with somewhat similar wood.
:). I might write poplar because I can spell Ailanthus :) Why did you?

Anyway colors look terrific!
Dont think I mentioned poplar. But we don’t get much tree of heaven around Northern Ohio

Nothing on the lathe for me recently. I have spent the last couple days ripping my shop apart. I'm looking for a bag of cutters I had in my hand! I said to myself "I should put this somewhere safe so I don't lose it". Ha!
That will teach me to clean up and organize! I knew right where it was when things were a mess!
And here I thought I was losing my mind doing this....

I even went back and checked my old Amazon orders just to be 100 percent that I did order the case of 100 little measuring cups for resin. I remember putting them in a plastic storage container to keep them clean and the damn gremlins have ate them. My shop is not very big.

I ordered and received two new ones Monday. Put them both on tool handles right away. Thought for sure the other ones would show up by now.

This was on my high school shop lathe, an old Delta lathe whatever they had at school. I made this in 1972, I think I was in 9th grade. Tools used were continental gouge, parting tool, skew. The top section is spindle turning the base was made on a faceplate. Wood is cherry and walnut, over the years the cherry turned almost as dark as the walnut. Shop teacher gave me a D on it because I didn't make a scale drawing with dimensions before I started it. I just drew a sketch on a piece of paper and went to it. Finish is Deft put on with a rag and the lathe spinning. I gave it to my mother and got it back when she passed.

Attachments

• IMG_2332 Lamp.jpg
    IMG_2332 Lamp.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 37
Did my first pewa job yesterday. Black cherry with koa pewa 0.7 size. I filled the crack with titebond 3 mixed with dust from the bowl. I installed them using the tutorial Michael Anderson wrote. After I was done I wish I would have made the pewa go the whole way through the bowl so they would show on the inside also. It has one coat of Rubio Monocoat on it. I will follow up with two coats of their maintenance oil to give it a little shine. I think this is going to be a salad serving bowl that we use to test the Rubio out and since it has a crack no one would probably want it.

Attachments

• IMG_2334 Pewa.jpg
    IMG_2334 Pewa.jpg
    362.6 KB · Views: 30

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Made a new StewMac buffing wheel set up that will fit all my lathes. About a 1/4 inch clearance on the little lathe. Thought I’d try their wheels to see if they are any better than the Beall wheels.

Jim.....Where are these StewMac wheels available, and looking forward to your evaluation.

-o-

This was on my high school shop lathe, an old Delta lathe whatever they had at school. I made this in 1972, I think I was in 9th grade. Tools used were continental gouge, parting tool, skew. The top section is spindle turning the base was made on a faceplate. Wood is cherry and walnut, over the years the cherry turned almost as dark as the walnut. Shop teacher gave me a D on it because I didn't make a scale drawing with dimensions before I started it. I just drew a sketch on a piece of paper and went to it. Finish is Deft put on with a rag and the lathe spinning. I gave it to my mother and got it back when she passed.
Looks like an A+ to me!

Jim McLain

Artist
Website
www.lucadecor.com
Jim.....Where are these StewMac wheels available, and looking forward to your evaluation.

-o-
Odie - They are available from StewMac.com. They cater to guitar makers. A friend has a set up and I saw a video that Sam Angelo, The Wyoming Woodturner did on them. I used the wheel for the first time this morning and so far I’m impressed. It does not seem to shed fibers like the Beall wheels so far (which is what I was hoping for). I got the 12 inch wheels. May not get back to it for a while because I need to get busy in my yard for a while.

Working on my first hollowform. Chunk of elm about 6 inches tall. I have a carter hollow roller, which works ok. Hollowing was done with the half round 3/16(I think) cutter. Very hard to get a smooth interior with the small cutter, currently looking to find a teardrop scraper for smoothing, but having a hard time finding stuff here in canada. Looked at ordering from carter but between the exchange rate and shipping, it's freaking expensive!

Attachments

• 20240329_115104.jpg
    20240329_115104.jpg
    556.9 KB · Views: 14
Working on my first hollowform. Chunk of elm about 6 inches tall. I have a carter hollow roller, which works ok. Hollowing was done with the half round 3/16(I think) cutter. Very hard to get a smooth interior with the small cutter, currently looking to find a teardrop scraper for smoothing, but having a hard time finding stuff here in canada. Looked at ordering from carter but between the exchange rate and shipping, it's freaking expensive!
Make one?

but having a hard time finding stuff here in canada. Looked at ordering from carter but between the exchange rate and shipping, it's freaking expensive!
Yeah, it is nuts. I buy very little in the US now. I used to buy vintage tools regularly from a weekly auction site, but when you add in exchange, shipping, and Paypal (the normal for that site), it's brutal. On Carter, I imagine you know about Branches to Bowls? I just did some comparison shopping of them vs buying from the US, and they came out ahead, and they offer great service.

Yeah, it is nuts. I buy very little in the US now. I used to buy vintage tools regularly from a weekly auction site, but when you add in exchange, shipping, and Paypal (the normal for that site), it's brutal. On Carter, I imagine you know about Branches to Bowls? I just did some comparison shopping of them vs buying from the US, and they came out ahead, and they offer great service.
Unfortunately, I was looking at the teardrop from carter products, not carter and son tools.
Sometimes It drives me nuts knowing how much isn't readily available to us that is to US turners.

Back