• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What’s on your lathe?

Just finishing a large floor vase for the wife! About 21" h x 15" w. Over one thousand segments(1008 to be exact). Made with 36 segments per ring of black walnut, purpleheart, paudak, and maple. Took longer than I'd like to admit but was an enjoyable build.

Beautiful job. Is she going to want a matching one, but with the twist in the opposite direction?

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Finished last night.....maple burl.

Probably worked for an hour to get that curve in the profile, making small incremental adjustments.....getting a nice flowing curve without tearout is sometimes a real bugger! :)

IMG_1615.JPG IMG_1616.JPG

Tim ....name of your lathe and some of its features, while doubt its new but looks very interested tks, new to me

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
African Blackwood. Finally getting around to making a proper stand for a past project. Trying to decide if I want to keep or part off the bottom bead. :confused:
88B7D8B4-6E78-4D56-9770-3954A554ADD8.jpeg

Edit: decided to remove the bottom bead. Ultimately, it interrupted the bottom curve’s flow. Interrupt the flow, you gotta go o_O

Last edited:

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
Natural edge, was told it was butternut when I got it from a buddies firewood pile. 9" x 5" x 3/32
wall thickness. Was going for 1/8" wall and the gouge slipped on an entry cut so had to go thinner.
Looks good ... glad it survived the gouge slip!
Looking at your chuck jaws your tenon seems to be too small. Surprised you didn't have any problems early on.

Work in progress... A small box from a spalted maple blank I acquired at a woodshow many years ago. First attempt at turning spalted wood! Any advice on how to treat the soft areas that tear out badly? It will ultimately get an inset walnut lid - assuming I can get the main part to cooperate! Quite an attractive piece of wood though - IMHO!
Be safe and stay well.
Barry W. Larson
Calgary, Alberta, Canada eh!
20230324_161245.jpg20230324_161330.jpg

Looks good ... glad it survived the gouge slip!
Looking at your chuck jaws your tenon seems to be too small. Surprised you didn't have any problems early on.
I did have problems early on, It was mounted to a glue block with ca glue, I turned the outside with the tailstock brought up. When I went to turn the inside the glue joint broke and the bowl fell on the floor. Luckily it didn't hurt the outside. The tenon was just a bit small for these jaws and I didn't want to use smaller jaws after losing it once so I put a layer of tape inside the jaws and it worked. I went with light cuts to prevent problems with the jaws holding it. I'm losing faith in ca glue for glue blocks.

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
@Barry Larson - Wood Hardener (Minwax?). Doesn't look too punky in the photos. Lacquer or water-based finish (won't change the color much) ... apply - light cuts - repeat as necessary.
How old is your General? Mine (1996) has a riser block for a 20" swing, so yours is probably newer.

@Barry Larson - Wood Hardener (Minwax?). Doesn't look too punky in the photos. Lacquer or water-based finish (won't change the color much) ... apply - light cuts - repeat as necessary.
How old is your General? Mine (1996) has a riser block for a 20" swing, so yours is probably newer.
Thanks Tom. There is only one area that's really bad, and I didn't capture it in the image. I'll give the Minwax Wood Hardner a try and see how it works. My General was made in the late 80's or early 90's. I bought it used in 1998 or so. Its a 160 with a 12 inch swing - I think they eventually upgraded these to 18 inch swing. I'll likely eventually upgrade, but this is good enough to have fun on and re-learn what I've forgotten. If I get proficient enough maybe I'll treat myself to a Oneway!
Be safe and stay well.
Barry

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
Thanks Tom. There is only one area that's really bad, and I didn't capture it in the image. I'll give the Minwax Wood Hardner a try and see how it works. My General was made in the late 80's or early 90's. I bought it used in 1998 or so. Its a 160 with a 12 inch swing - I think they eventually upgraded these to 18 inch swing. I'll likely eventually upgrade, but this is good enough to have fun on and re-learn what I've forgotten. If I get proficient enough maybe I'll treat myself to a Oneway!
Be safe and stay well.
Barry
Aha ... couldn't really tell the 12" swing from the photo. I think in 1996 General started to transition to bowl turners instead of just spindle turners. Hence, the 4" riser blocks on headstock-tailstock-banjo so they could use up their old castings. They went to a single piece casting a year or so later I believe. My old no-name spindle lathe died (sort of) and I was desperate to have a working lathe immediately. A new shipment was delivered to Wilke Bros. (anyone know if they are still in business?) and I drove several hours to pick one up ... the green paint was still soft!!! Two weeks later Oneway announced their new lathe for sale ... sigh! :(

Aha ... couldn't really tell the 12" swing from the photo. I think in 1996 General started to transition to bowl turners instead of just spindle turners. Hence, the 4" riser blocks on headstock-tailstock-banjo so they could use up their old castings. They went to a single piece casting a year or so later I believe. My old no-name spindle lathe died (sort of) and I was desperate to have a working lathe immediately. A new shipment was delivered to Wilke Bros. (anyone know if they are still in business?) and I drove several hours to pick one up ... the green paint was still soft!!! Two weeks later Oneway announced their new lathe for sale ... sigh! :(
Well, it was on my lathe, but suffered a catastrophic failure once the centre was hollowed out. Bad warp and a significant crack. I decided to walk - well walk it over to the scrap bin anyway. Too bad as I think it would have made a nice piece. I consoled my disappointment by turning a small birdseye maple plate.
Interesting you mentioned Oneway just introducing lathes when you bought your General. I bought my General from a friend who had just taken a turning course from Michael Hosaluk - on of course a then new Oneway lathe. He ordered a Oneway lathe before the course was even finished and his old General was soon on its way to my shop!
Cheers,
Barry

Attachments

• 20230325_110049.jpg
    20230325_110049.jpg
    476.5 KB · Views: 29

odie

TOTW Team
Finished a small Marblewood bowl last night.

Workability: Tends to be difficult to work on account of its high density. Marblewood can have a moderate to severe blunting effect on tool cutters. Glues, turns, and finishes well—though there is a high risk of checking and resin exudation during drying.
Comments: The high contrast between the golden body and the much darker streaks give it an appearance somewhat similar to natural marble, hence the common name of “Marblewood” for this species. Marblewood’s overall appearance is very similar to Zebrawood, though Marblewood tends to have a slightly finer texture.
Common Name(s): Marblewood, Angelim Rajado

Scientific Name: Zygia racemosa (syn. Marmaroxylon racemosum)

Distribution: Northeastern South America

Tree Size: 65-100 ft (20-30 m) tall, 1-2 ft (.3-.6 m) trunk diameter

Average Dried Weight: 63 lbs/ft3 (1,005 kg/m3)

Specific Gravity (Basic, 12% MC): .77, 1.00

Janka Hardness: 2,530 lbf (11,250 N)

-----odie-----

IMG_1617.JPG IMG_1618.JPG

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Nice looking bowl Odie. I have a chunk of very marbly marble wood I’m saving for a future project. I haven’t turned it before, but am looking forward to the experience. I’ve heard the smell is a bit off-putting—what’s your take?

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
Nice looking bowl Odie. I have a chunk of very marbly marble wood I’m saving for a future project. I haven’t turned it before, but am looking forward to the experience. I’ve heard the smell is a bit off-putting—what’s your take?
Haven't turned any Marblewood in a loooong time - don't remember if it smells while turning. I know Zebrawood smells like your walking through a zoo! The endgrain of Marblewood is very attractive IMO ... more so than the side grain. I used to take endgrain slices and make medallions/inserts for box lids.

odie

TOTW Team

Most woods have a smell particular to their species. I didn't take much notice while turning this one last evening, so it must not have been pungent, or anything very serious. The only wood that I've ever had a reaction to, is Katalox.....so, I've been avoiding that one.

-----odie-----

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Thanks Tom and Odie, good to know. Someone recently said it smelled like horseshi... Was surprising to me--I'd turn it regardless, but was just curious. :)

The 'Pod' slowly emerges in Blackwood - Acacia Melanoxylon. At this stage, the process is slowing down to allow for the details and finishing. It will be for the most part be done on the lathe and the final sanding done off lathe

Attachments

• IMG_3915.JPG
    IMG_3915.JPG
    394.7 KB · Views: 43

odie

TOTW Team
Gorgeous wood and really nice details Odie

Your comment is very appreciated, Gary :)

This Brown Mallee Burl bowl is currently a "reserved" listing for an art collector, and previous customer.

-----odie-----

The club I belong to (Northwestern Michigan Woodturners) committed to turning 400 bowls for the local Empty Bowls event coming up in April. I just started turning last December and turned my first bowl in January but thought I'd give a try at contributing. Here is the result as of March 10th. Even though some will not make the cut, its been a great learning process.

IMG_1057.jpeg

odie

TOTW Team

I see you got the Gage T, Rusty.....Great tool, and I use mine on nearly every bowl. The only times that I don't are those rare times it won't fit over the rim, or won't give enough depth. Regardless, it has become my preferred tool to determine wall thickness on bowls.

-----odie-----

Sanded to 400 grit, Yorkshire Grit friction polish, and 3 coats of TruOil burnished in. I'm still not satisfied with that elusive "perfect curve." I've got a 3-day class with David Ellsworth this summer. That should help clean up some of my bad habits that I learned mostly from YouTube videos when I was getting started during the shutdown. Never stop learning!
View attachment 50713
edit to add: This one came from a box of rough-turns I got from Scott Alexander of @alexanderdesigns on Instagram. Super nice guy, and his bowls are unbelievable. Check him out!
I'm starting to come to the conclusion myself that there is no perfect curve. The only person you have to please is yourself!

I see you got the Gage T, Rusty.....Great tool, and I use mine on nearly every bowl. The only times that I don't are those rare times it won't fit over the rim, or won't give enough depth. Regardless, it has become my preferred tool to determine wall thickness on bowls.

-----odie-----
Hi odie, In your picture is that an air nozzle on the bottom pointed at the bowl? If so is it always on or how do you actuate it?

odie

TOTW Team
Hi odie, In your picture is that an air nozzle on the bottom pointed at the bowl? If so is it always on or how do you actuate it?

Hi Sam.....

Yes, it is an air nozzle. With those bowls of mine that have an inward slanting wall, or extreme undercut rim, the shavings build up and make it difficult to see what I'm doing. There is a homemade flexible neck holding the exit nozzle, so it's minutely adjustable. The airstream is adjustable by a regulating valve near the tailstock and backside of the lathe. Behind the lathe is a glass globe type air separator that catches any moisture buildup in the long line from the compressor to the back of my lathe.

Glad you mentioned that, because it's been awhile since I checked/drained that glass globe.....I need to do that, so I'm writing myself a note to get that done when I go out to the shop later this evening.

-----odie-----

IMG_1518 (2).jpg

-----odie-----
Yes it is the easiest and fastest way I have found to check the thickness on my bowls. Same with me, I use it on everything it will fit on.

Yes it is the easiest and fastest way I have found to check the thickness on my bowls. Same with me, I use it on everything it will fit on.
This forum is getting expensive for me! First the Mustard Monster around Thanksgiving (plus about another 1k on chucks and accessories), and I just ordered that Gage T. "Going by feel" is not very accurate. Thanks Odie and Rusty for being such good enablers.;)

This forum is getting expensive for me! First the Mustard Monster around Thanksgiving (plus about another 1k on chucks and accessories), and I just ordered that Gage T. "Going by feel" is not very accurate. Thanks Odie and Rusty for being such good enablers.;)
You’re welcome. It is always fun to spend somebody else’s money.

A plain ash dog dish that has been kicking my butt!

I couldn't get rid of the tear out so I gave up and sanded till that got tiring. I must have sharpened 4 times both 1/2 and 5/8 gouge.

Best I've come up with if someone asks about the marks is "It's emerald ash borer marks" It's my story and I'm sticking with it.

OaLcflPT40bHMuiAI47X_ShqFs-NNmonwcw0r5eTsjs85vOyRrBA7AG1U1VT-Bxo9YT88Ve3bAqcs0bjkjGc1ICf86yB9ux9vUqLtefc7i-yG7QcwE7aL0PpbkxURHekVFVSYUHnQMET2BXdNE45_2o3j3W-vr2LOIdHhdhtc114iNdZ4gaDq_1QFw5blvSQWO3iA4Ot0e_nJO9SeYV3Hz2-rL9XXlmzdZjEnN3wtXphWoKN6pJg-zGfP3Jsm4VGQBLa6_ucI7sPmsFx2CfMdFWCm8DmZKf26GlvNoVyJLVf_NSMxuH64XiJ9OQmdKNZsjyRtXsP-hmYz3sb6AXS3bqpIKMf0TO1BZQ1o4E9pJ6J_JRM_XX2GAPgNTlmOIKnWlvZgMiFh0I_owZVNZv_Z7TxwKLy4jVGBZlorZZibWp5vsdbsxi2hA1LuWVNeGmnoH3go8yK_x4c3TsNe-HT2uFN2OynWqVMqzzbt2C2_mt4FTbVcgoY-EqWIYAKzhoy71aP1PrkYM_n_TTT3OVyhW1uoOsclo8fUtrGdCRvbHQh0BW36orwi7P7SCH5lyCDAAGT6avM-wD3EQ8ut2WoUreSJkcFejyj0KTuq0BYnSyFKyL_YAHBhXLseb-CJX0-S9IBI2D7cXXaUTLPB4jOO6jfs7LXfttVFIwxJKRlLuXUPCQkpXhyi1J1Qyt0Vxd9vftEl3qS6AiZw2tLuMW41m1iNs1VeZDy9grUWulAgRpsQTNIJQ0L_n1SCNJ5Aam_Tzh-9UIT39ErgRhGGDeF0SkAhFebQuGe901DLrbdKPhTamZHsizq-LvdMgURpKGSSah8nBTuiwcHtpdw2GkvaxwUCtL5pZWF9w7hs18rKV_HCop_HTx80rFovXVqg8JZYPYhpF0ewkLQBo_mWV6jFHtJQJ2owRDfwvxzs_s6FYF-rKO8df6MkHkbDNOB0jL-23d3Wfe8Zp5hENPtWww3=w722-h963-s-no

odie

TOTW Team
I going to have to make a set of similar jaw plates...

Tim

Tim.....The jaw plates are standard Oneway Jumbo Jaws. I have added some longer screws with washers as spacers underneath the standard rubber bumpers. I didn't make anything here......just added some screws and washers to give a little rise to the rubber bumpers.

What do you plan on making?

-----odie-----

Back