• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What’s on your lathe?

Jim McLain

Artist
Website
www.lucadecor.com
Screwbean Mesquite with turquoise. Just finished sanding back the ca finish. Want to thank who ever it was that recommended cutting the cord on sanders. Screwbean is a very unusual mesquite in that it really moves during the drying process and is more porous than other mesquites.

Attachments

• 83352CA3-7AB1-45CB-BD70-697C1B8F3445.jpeg
    83352CA3-7AB1-45CB-BD70-697C1B8F3445.jpeg
    122.6 KB · Views: 43
Beautiful, Jim-I was looking through your website gallery at your amazing work. Are those glossier finishes ca? I have turned smaller spindles with a ca finish (shaving brushes, duck calls and the like), but can't imagine using that much on such a large piece. I'm assuming fans and a good respirator are involved? And can you really power-sand ca without sanding through the finish? Color me intrigued. I'd be thankful for any details on your process if you're willing to share.

Jim McLain

Artist
Website
www.lucadecor.com
Beautiful, Jim-I was looking through your website gallery at your amazing work. Are those glossier finishes ca? I have turned smaller spindles with a ca finish (shaving brushes, duck calls and the like), but can't imagine using that much on such a large piece. I'm assuming fans and a good respirator are involved? And can you really power-sand ca without sanding through the finish? Color me intrigued. I'd be thankful for any details on your process if you're willing to share.
Aaron - Thanks - Yes the glossy finishes on my site are CA finish. I have a love hate relationship with ca finishing. Love the end results when everything works. This piece had some areas that had white spots on the darker wood that had to be sanded out and recoated. Yes occasionally I have sanded through the finish but that has become less frequent over time. I do power sand the ca back with the lathe running very slowly and the sander running slow. I coat my pieces in this order to reduce the ripples in the finish (2 coats thin, 2 coats medium thin, 4 coats medium, 2 coats medium thin, 2 coats thin).
yes the shop gets really bad with the vapor but I have a Versaflo with a chemical filter. Hope this helps. For the record I prefer the finish left with Parfix 3408 but the finish is more semigloss.

Aaron - Thanks - Yes the glossy finishes on my site are CA finish. I have a love hate relationship with ca finishing. Love the end results when everything works. This piece had some areas that had white spots on the darker wood that had to be sanded out and recoated. Yes occasionally I have sanded through the finish but that has become less frequent over time. I do power sand the ca back with the lathe running very slowly and the sander running slow. I coat my pieces in this order to reduce the ripples in the finish (2 coats thin, 2 coats medium thin, 4 coats medium, 2 coats medium thin, 2 coats thin).
yes the shop gets really bad with the vapor but I have a Versaflo with a chemical filter. Hope this helps. For the record I prefer the finish left with Parfix 3408 but the finish is more semigloss.
I checked out your work at the gallery, remarkable! I'm a fan.

Tim.....The jaw plates are standard Oneway Jumbo Jaws. I have added some longer screws with washers as spacers underneath the standard rubber bumpers. I didn't make anything here......just added some screws and washers to give a little rise to the rubber bumpers.

What do you plan on making?

-----odie-----
I'd like to make a set of jaw plates about 18" in diameter. For larger work, I use a 6" Yuasa three-jaw chuck with two-piece jaws on my New Haven lathe. I made the dovetail jaws shown. They are reversible for 4" and 6" dovetail cavities - I typically use cavities instead of tenons. I'll make a new set of blank jaws and weld the plate segments to them.
IMG_0987.JPG
IMG_0936.JPG
finished jaws.jpg

Tim

A plain ash dog dish that has been kicking my butt!

I couldn't get rid of the tear out so I gave up and sanded till that got tiring. I must have sharpened 4 times both 1/2 and 5/8 gouge.

Best I've come up with if someone asks about the marks is "It's emerald ash borer marks" It's my story and I'm sticking with it.

OaLcflPT40bHMuiAI47X_ShqFs-NNmonwcw0r5eTsjs85vOyRrBA7AG1U1VT-Bxo9YT88Ve3bAqcs0bjkjGc1ICf86yB9ux9vUqLtefc7i-yG7QcwE7aL0PpbkxURHekVFVSYUHnQMET2BXdNE45_2o3j3W-vr2LOIdHhdhtc114iNdZ4gaDq_1QFw5blvSQWO3iA4Ot0e_nJO9SeYV3Hz2-rL9XXlmzdZjEnN3wtXphWoKN6pJg-zGfP3Jsm4VGQBLa6_ucI7sPmsFx2CfMdFWCm8DmZKf26GlvNoVyJLVf_NSMxuH64XiJ9OQmdKNZsjyRtXsP-hmYz3sb6AXS3bqpIKMf0TO1BZQ1o4E9pJ6J_JRM_XX2GAPgNTlmOIKnWlvZgMiFh0I_owZVNZv_Z7TxwKLy4jVGBZlorZZibWp5vsdbsxi2hA1LuWVNeGmnoH3go8yK_x4c3TsNe-HT2uFN2OynWqVMqzzbt2C2_mt4FTbVcgoY-EqWIYAKzhoy71aP1PrkYM_n_TTT3OVyhW1uoOsclo8fUtrGdCRvbHQh0BW36orwi7P7SCH5lyCDAAGT6avM-wD3EQ8ut2WoUreSJkcFejyj0KTuq0BYnSyFKyL_YAHBhXLseb-CJX0-S9IBI2D7cXXaUTLPB4jOO6jfs7LXfttVFIwxJKRlLuXUPCQkpXhyi1J1Qyt0Vxd9vftEl3qS6AiZw2tLuMW41m1iNs1VeZDy9grUWulAgRpsQTNIJQ0L_n1SCNJ5Aam_Tzh-9UIT39ErgRhGGDeF0SkAhFebQuGe901DLrbdKPhTamZHsizq-LvdMgURpKGSSah8nBTuiwcHtpdw2GkvaxwUCtL5pZWF9w7hs18rKV_HCop_HTx80rFovXVqg8JZYPYhpF0ewkLQBo_mWV6jFHtJQJ2owRDfwvxzs_s6FYF-rKO8df6MkHkbDNOB0jL-23d3Wfe8Zp5hENPtWww3=w722-h963-s-no
Sam, next time, have a spray bottle handy. Just mist a little water on it and then very gently turn away the wet wood. It may take a couple of tries to get the tear out tamed. I prefer a shear scrape for final clean up, but that can vary from piece to piece since all woods, even from the same tree are different....

robo hippy

Sam, next time, have a spray bottle handy. Just mist a little water on it and then very gently turn away the wet wood. It may take a couple of tries to get the tear out tamed. I prefer a shear scrape for final clean up, but that can vary from piece to piece since all woods, even from the same tree are different....

robo hippy
What a coincidence, I was just looking at sheer scraping on you tube. Do both sides of the flute touch the bowl or is the top just so close the camera doesn't pick up the gap?

I am liking my bowl scraper more now that I have the cbn wheels and more experience sharpening. It's no longer a weapon of mass destruction and I actually get feathery curls with it.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
What a coincidence, I was just looking at sheer scraping on you tube. Do both sides of the flute touch the bowl or is the top just so close the camera doesn't pick up the gap?

I am liking my bowl scraper more now that I have the cbn wheels and more experience sharpening. It's no longer a weapon of mass destruction and I actually get feathery curls with it.
If you refer to shear scraping with an ellsworth (or other winged style) grind bowl gouge, then yeah just the one wing touches bowl , other wing of the flute is just so close to the wood, the gap is not easily seen. Be careful and practice the shear scrape with some "practice wood" before going to mission-critical cuts though - it is quite easy to roll the gouge a little too far and end up with an unsupported cut resulting in a catch (Typically at a spot close to the nose, especially doing inside of a bowl, which is far trickier than the outside).

(and it is possible to make extremely fine light cuts with a tiny section of the edge typically along the side of the nose, just barely touching bevel, once you know just by the feel of it where your bevel is at - Can't really see the bevel angle when doing a cut like that, so you gotta KNOW where bevel is just by feel.. and roll just a tiny bit too far, and you got catch city.. one of those "zen" cuts as Odie might say....)

But yeah basically you're using the bit of burr from a freshly sharpened gouge as a scraper and held at a sharp shearing angle (30 to 45 degrees or so) so the scraping action actually sort of cuts instead of just scraping. (it is less than a cut but more than a scrape..) You can do a shear scrape with a regular scraper as well if you are able to hold it as a nice shearing angle rather than straight-in . There's actually a carbide tipped robert sorby tool (I have one) that sets the carbide cutter at an angle to the flat bar stock which sits flat on the tool rest in order to get a shear scrape. I almost never use it though (another "great tool" that ended up being a waste of money - at least for ME)

Osage orange is the 'common' name for that tree. Native to N Texas and S Oklahoma. The wood can make a beautiful dye for fabric. The wagon train people would plant it along the trail because it makes such wonderful wagon wheel spokes. "A black locust fence post will wear out one fence post hole. An osage orange post will wear out 2." It also makes excellent long bows, which is why it is known as Bois D'arc.

As for shear scraping, on the outside, I use a spear point type scraper, handle dropped, and just using the long bevel burr. On the inside, a ) shaped nose, or some times a round nose, and just touching the lower half of the tool. I haven't had a catch like can happen with the skew if you get above center, but I won't take that chance. Handle is slightly dropped.

robo hippy

Working through my recent Walnut acquisition, getting the blanks out of plastic bags and rough turned.
The piece was 18 x 10 and intended for a calabash type piece. It had some bark inclusions and other funkyness near the top that I thought I could use, as long as I could keep a solid, uninterrupted rim. Not happening, so I decided to pare off 3 or so inches from the top. I’m never one of those, “let the wood tell you what to do” folks, and view changing course, not properly evaluating one’s blank less than ideal. Still, it happens.
It‘ll be a wonderful bowl, just the same.

Thankfully it has a near twin, without the funky wood. 19 x 10 and all solid.
My son is stopping by to help me get this thing on the lathe.2C3A6212-AD47-4ADE-ACDB-DB75539EA54C.jpeg4AD2E323-4040-424B-9743-5D90163BB537.jpeg

First time turning Redbud. Absolutely gorgeous, almost like Walnut on steroids. Though, I wish I had some larger chunks.
View attachment 51620
Looking good Michael, beautiful wood, never seen Redbud that big, I planted one years ago, then moved away, we just enjoyed the flowers in spring.

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Thanks Leo. This was from someone’s front yard., and appears to have been planted a long time ago. Unfortunately, the main trunk was rotten so they cut it down. At the base, the trunk was about 12” diameter but didn’t really yield any usable blanks. The biggest bowl I’ll get is probably going to end up ~7” diameter, so not too too big.

Back