• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What’s on your lathe?

Walnut update

Got it wrestled onto my too small Nova lathe. Spins fine, was able to run it 350 rpm, fast enough to get nice cuts.
Didn't get far before running into a nail. (Also ripped a nail when working with chainsaw) So, not so surprised and reasonably confident that I won’t have nails in the finished piece.637BE3BC-DEE4-4277-BB5A-850E5513CA2D.jpeg
707A3313-4F9C-4478-BB41-0DCD7F5F20E0.jpeg

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Looking good Marc. The nail is frustrating. I just acquired some walnut and hit two nails when chainsawing my blanks. About 5 minutes after I had just sharpened my chain :(

Last edited:

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Red Mallee burl last night. There was a big crack in the rim repaired with epoxy mixed with Red Mallee sanding dust. (Photo #3) The other cracks are normal and considered "character", but this one was a problem with structural integrity.....so, that's why this one crack was filled and the others were not. The bowl is sopping wet from application of D.O. in these photos.

-----odie-----

IMG_1645.JPG IMG_1644.JPG IMG_1646 (2).jpg

Last edited:

odie

TOTW Team
Walnut, shallow bowl/platter (flat candy dish)

Odie, is it a trade secret, what brand of danish oil do you usually use?

I just now see your question, Sam.....

No secret at all......

71QvXJhwXML._AC_SX425_PIbundle-12,TopRight,0,0_SH20_.jpg

-----odie-----

Walnut, shallow bowl/platter (flat candy dish)

Odie, is it a trade secret, what brand of danish oil do you usually use?
Not sure of the brand that Odie uses. The brand I have used on both flat work and turnings for the last 40 years is Watco.

UrnsDO.jpg
The Urn on the left in black walnut was featured on an earlier post in this thread and I am now in the process of applying the DO finish along with a similar urn in black ash. The walnut urn has the third application started and the ash urn is on the second application. The end grain areas on the top will absorb much more oil then the side grain such that the 1st coat on the walnut was dulled within minutes of application. The second coat on the dulled after about 15 minutes and the 3rd coat seems to indicate that a 4th will not be necessary. The oil will raise the grain so I always rub with a fine abrasive before wiping down and again before the next coat. After the final coat apply Watco dark satin wax (if you can find it) on the walnut or a clear wax on the ash.

Currently a walnut salad bowl with a bit of crotch figure. This bowl was kiln dried after roughing. I first mounted it using the tenon on the bottom and then turned a 4.5 inch recess inside. The outside is finish-turned and the inside will be finish-turned using the original tenon. As a last step, the tenon will be removed by holding the bowl with the Oneway mega jumbo jaws. This is my standard procedure for these bowls. About 15 inches in diameter. Not sure if this one will be finished with walnut oil or wipe-on poly. Sitting on the fence right now.
A04B085A-DE11-4826-9D6F-94138771F45E.jpeg

Currently a walnut salad bowl with a bit of crotch figure. This bowl was kiln dried after roughing. I first mounted it using the tenon on the bottom and then turned a 4.5 inch recess inside. The outside is finish-turned and the inside will be finish-turned using the original tenon. As a last step, the tenon will be removed by holding the bowl with the Oneway mega jumbo jaws. This is my standard procedure for these bowls. About 15 inches in diameter. Not sure if this one will be finished with walnut oil or wipe-on poly. Sitting on the fence right now.
View attachment 51719
Wow, beautiful walnut, Kevin! It will look stunning either way. I have a couple of now-dry rough-turned walnut bowls around that size. I'm trying to follow the advice I got on here to work my way up to that size with a few each above about the 10-inch diameter. Currently getting comfortable with the 11-12" range as I turn into bigger works with my now 20-inch swing. The big boys are a whole new ball-game for me, but I love big walnut bowls. Thanks for the inspiration!

odie

TOTW Team
I always like seeing how others work. I have so much to learn. Odie is that an air hose at the bottom at about 4 o'clock?

Yes, it is, Will......

The airline there removes shavings in the pocket created by the inward slanted, and extreme undercut rim bowls I frequently turn......during the act of turning. That's important, because otherwise I can't see what my tool is doing while the work is in progress.

-----odie-----

odie

TOTW Team
Australian Jarrah burl last night......
This piece had so many catchy little voids that it kept destroying my sandpaper! :(

-----odie-----
IMG_1667.JPGIMG_1668.JPG

Last edited:
Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
I'm not seeing the image.
I've noticed that lately too. I saw the post when the image was actually visible, (it was a decent looking patch to the void, IMHO), but now the image seems to be broken - I have noticed likewise the same thing several other times on this forum and wondered what happened to the pictures, but this is the first time I can confirm with my own eyes that the image *WAS* there, and now it isn't (I'm just seeing a white container with a "-" button icon) Perhaps there's some sort of bug with google's image hosting. I would bet it isn't a problem where the pics are uploaded to the forum, just where they are linked to outside image hosting. (Possible permissions issue? browser security issue?)

Or maybe because all i did was insert an image copy instead of downloading to my computer then inserting with the attach file like I sometimes do.

See if this one disappears.

Attachments

• IMG_20230408_202322719_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230408_202322719_HDR.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 34
Yes, it is, Will......

The airline there removes shavings in the pocket created by the inward slanted, and extreme undercut rim bowls I frequently turn......during the act of turning. That's important, because otherwise I can't see what my tool is doing while the work is in progress.

-----odie-----
Thanks for the thorough reply Odie! Great idea. Saves a lot of starting and stopping.

Is it a trophy bowl? A fancy dog bowl? Small fruit bowl? IDK Anyhoo, I had a nice 7x5" blank from a big Bradford Pear tree my arborist neighbor took down nearby. Here it is after the 1st coat of TruOil. (Sorry for the lousy phone pics).
I made something similar from cherry a few days ago. Called it a candy bowl. My dog would like it tho, :)

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
The switch for your light or something else??
That’s my crappy almost dead light that you can see. But this was just caused by a catch. Still learning how to use a Hunter Badger tool, and got a bit light handed (and wrong angled) when I was making one of my final passes. There wasn’t a good way to fix the catch, so I just decided to scrap the bowl. Breaking it apart after was the reward for screwing up. All part of the learning process!

Back